Student dies of unknown cause

UA student Adam A. Ray, a freshman majoring in accounting, died Jan. 3 of an unknown cause, according to a statement released by the University.

“He had accepted Christ and we know we will see him again,” said his father, George Ray. “That is the greatest blessing. We know we will see him again. He is in a better place than we are right now. That is what has gotten us through.”

George Ray said that Ray had been excited about returning to the University to celebrate what turned out to be Alabama’s victory in the BCS National Championship.

“He had a lot of friends, I’ll tell you that,” George Ray said. “The service was standing room only. A lot from the University, even though he was only there for a semester. The support of his friends has really been a blessing to the family.”

Hadley Farmer, a sophomore at Macon East Montgomery Academy, said Ray was a beautiful person.

“[Adam] always knew how to make people laugh and smile,” she said. “He knew what he wanted in life, and went for it. He was going to do big things if he had an opportunity to.”

Friends and family of Ray expressed their condolences on the Facebook group begun in his memory.

“I was looking through my phone earlier and realized I still have text messages from you, which made me miss you even more,” wrote friend Amber Ledford. “If I feel this way after only knowing you for a short time, I don’t even know what people you have grown up with are feeling, because I miss you so, so much.”

Ray is survived by his parents George and Lisa, sister Dana and brother David, according to Ray’s obituary in the Montgomery Advertiser.

A funeral service for Ray was held Jan. 6 at Alabama Heritage Funeral Home Chapel in his hometown of Montgomery. The Rev. Rick Marshall of Eastern Hills Baptist Church and the Rev. Larry Armstrong presided over the service, according to Ray’s Montgomery Advertiser obituary.

Melanie Miller, associate dean of students, said the University received the notification of Adam Ray’s death with deep regret.

“Like all our students, Adam Ray was a part of the Alabama family and we were very sorry to hear of his death,” said Miller. “His family and friends are in our thoughts and prayers.”