Kentuck Art Night showcases woodwork, K5 art

Tonight the Kentuck Art Gallery will host this month’s Art Night, featuring woodworker Bill Hubbard, artwork from elementary students involved in the Northport Fine Arts Initiative, and artwork from Charlie “Tin Man” Lucas, a 25-year Kentuck veteran.

The event will be held at the Kentuck Courtyard on Main Street in downtown Northport. There will be a daylily sale and cobb oven pizza served at the event, which lasts from 5-9 p.m.

“We are very excited about this show,” said Valerie Piette, program manager at Kentuck. “It is a little unusual to have a woodworker featured.”

Hubbard, a member of the Black Warrior Woodturners and the Alabama Woodturner’s Association, lives in Centreville.

“He has several unique pieces featured, including a giant giraffe and cowboy hat,” Piette said. “His pieces are very delicate and show extreme attention to detail.”

The Northport Fine Arts Initiative show will be featured in the Kentuck annex, and everything from paper collages to paintings from children in kindergarten through fifth grade will be presented, Piette said.

NFAI, which is funded by the City of Northport, places university students majoring in art and music into Northport elementary schools to teach students in kindergarten through fifth grade.

The exhibition will feature artwork from Matthews, Flatwoods, Faucett-Vestavia, Huntington Place, Crestmont and Northport Elementary.

Also exhibited in the annex, artwork from Charlie “Tin Man” Lucas will include sculptures and paintings that incorporate found objects. An artist since childhood, Lucas turned art into a career after a debilitating accident in 1984.

“His work contains rich stories and layers of symbols which reveal wisdom and meaning in a dreamlike fashion, and he has been recognized nationally and internationally as a great innovator in American folk art,” Piette said.

All exhibits will be on display at Kentuck until April 30.

Classical guitarist Phil Weaver will perform in the Kentuck Courtyard for Art Night.

Art Night takes place the first Thursday of each month and celebrates the opening of all exhibits in downtown Northport galleries. Kentuck studio artists will also host their monthly Open Studios for visitors to see works in progress, meet the artists and see the actual workspaces where the artists apply materials, design, technique and equipment to the creative process.