Speaker to discuss prominent business ethics tonight

Each spring semester, speakers from various disciplines come to UA to discuss prominent business ethics issues and emphasize the importance of character and moral development in achieving personal and professional success.

Tonight at 7 p.m., the Smith Foundation Endowed Chair of Business Integrity, along with the Culverhouse College of Commerce Academic Honor Council, will welcome John A. Allison IV, retired chairman and CEO of BB&T Corporation, the 10th largest financial services holding company headquartered in the United States to speak to students and faculty members in Alston Room 10.

Patrick Smith, the J. Craig Smith Endowed Chair Student Fellow, said the annual lecture series addresses business ethics issues.

“The [lecture] series is designed to bring in high-profile speakers of various backgrounds who have dealt with issues of business ethics on a day-to-day basis to discuss and emphasize to students the importance of moral development and personal integrity in achieving personal and professional success,” Smith said.

According to a news release provided by Smith, Allison, who was named one of the top 100 most successful CEO’s in the world by Harvard Business Review, will share his insights into being a powerful and meaningful leader.

“He will describe how a clear and passionate sense of purpose, an uncompromising commitment to rational decision making, and using your work as the foundation for self-esteem leads to organizational success and personal happiness,” the release said.

The lecture series provides an opportunity for students to hear from individuals involved in business ethics issues about their experiences as they have attempted, and sometimes failed, to engage in ethical business practices, according to the release.

“Through this lecture series we hope to inspire thoughtful reflection among students about the importance of character and integrity not only to compliance with laws, rules and regulations but also to personal contentedness and professional success,” Smith said.

Allison became President of BB&T in 1987 and was elected chairman and Chief Executive Officer in July 1989. During his tenure as CEO from 1989 to 2008, BB&T grew from $4.5 billion to $152 billion in assets. In March 2009, Allison joined the faculty of Wake Forest University School of Business as Distinguished Professor of Practice.