Greeks host Easter egg hunt

The Alabama Panhellenic Association will host its annual Easter Egg Hunt on the front lawn of the President’s Mansion this Sunday April 17, according to a Panhellenic Association press release.

According to the release, the event, intended for children 12 and under, will begin at 1 p.m. and last until the last remaining egg is found. Parking will be available behind sorority row and the event will be canceled in case of bad weather.

“The Panhellenic community always looks forward to hosting this event for the Tuscaloosa area, and we are all excited to experience another wonderful day with local families,” APA Director of Programming Megan Hayes said in the release.

Hayes said UA staff members’ families and local Tuscaloosa families alike are welcome to bring their children to the event.

“We hope that UA faculty and staff’s families, local families and even those from surrounding areas come out and partake in the event,” Hayes said. “I hope to attract about 200 parents and children this year from the Tuscaloosa area.”

Hayes said the lawn will be divided into two areas; one for younger children and one for older children, so the hunt will be as fair as possible. Refreshments and face painting will be provided and families are encouraged to bring their cameras to take pictures of their children with the Easter Bunny, who will also be attending.

Along with the Easter Bunny, Hayes said there will be a special group of Panhellenic women to make sure the event runs smoothly.

“Every Panhellenic sorority is contributing the candy and eggs for the event and the Junior Panhellenic Council is a group of freshman women who will be there helping set up and monitor the event,” Hayes said.

Hayes said events like these are one way the Panhellenic Association gives back to the community, a community that has been so generous to them in the past.

“The Greek community at UA receives so much support from the Tuscaloosa community throughout the academic year, and this is just a small way that we can show our gratitude for that support,” she said. “It is an event that APA looks forward to hosting every year and we hope to have a great crowd turnout.”