Crimson team comes back to take the steak

The Alabama football team had its annual A-Day game spring showcase and in a slew of good and bad, personified by electric plays by both teams and turnovers, the Crimson team completed the comeback against the White team, 14-10.

Head coach Nick Saban recognized both these good and bad aspects of the spring finale in his post-game opening comments.

“I think we’re pleased with the overall progress we’ve made this spring,” Saban said. “We’re glad Don’t’a [Hightower] is taking the leadership role on our defense so well. But we turned the ball over six times today, and most of them were fundamental things.”

Those fundamental problems showed up early in the game, as redshirt sophomore quarterback AJ McCarron methodically drove the Crimson team down to the one-yard line after a long pass to Brandon Gibson, only to fumble the snap. The fumble was recovered by White safety Mark Barron for 96 yards and the game’s opening score.

McCarron picked things up by completing his next two passes on his way to a 21-for-38 and 222 yard day. McCarron’s biggest competitor for the starting quarterback job and winner of the Ozzie Newsome Most Improved Freshman Award, Phillip Sims, impressed many of the 92,310 in attendance with his 19-for-38 and 229-yard performance.

“Both QBs showed promise in good decisions they made today,” Saban said. “Both showed they can play winning football at their position.”

Sims showcased his winning football abilities in the game-changing drive that ended the third quarter and started the fourth. With 8:24 left in the third quarter, Sims led the Crimson team onto the field with the ball on their own 10-yard-line.

Sims led the team on a 14-play drive with two third-down conversions and a conversion on fourth and 19, that ended with a Dee Hart 17-yard touchdown run, giving the Crimson team its deciding 14th point.

All eyes were on the quarterback battle on Saturday, an attention that other players have noticed.

“Personally, I’m worried about blocking for them, so I don’t get to pay attention as much,” guard Barrett Jones said. “Both of them have done a lot this spring to prove to us they can start. They’re both great quarterbacks. Whoever wins, we’ll support him and block for him.”

The defense has netted its fair share of attention this spring, too. Returning a lot of young starters from last year’s team, the fanbase and the coaching staff alike call for an improvement.

“I think one of the strengths of our defensive team is the way we pressure, the way we create negative plays,” Saban said.

Hightower  said he thinks the parties calling for an improvement will not be disappointed.

“I think you’ll se a tremendous difference in this year’s defense from last year’s defense,” Hightower said. “Robert Lester has stepped up a lot for us in a leadership role.”

Questions about the Crimson Tide’s receiving corps and defensive line unit have been floating around throughout the spring, and Saban addressed those questions Saturday.

“I think we made progress at wideout, but I still think there’s room for improvement and consistency,” Saban said. “I think we also made a tremendous amount of progress at defensive line.”

Brandon Gibson made his statement about those concerns with his performance Saturday, catching five passes for 53 yards and earning the Jerry Duncan “I Like To Practice” Award.

The game’s Most Valuable Player was Trent Richardson, who carried the ball nine times for 49 yards and even led the game in receiving yards with 85 on seven catches.

“I’m feeling pretty good, and I’m just ready to go,” Richardson said. “I can’t wait to play that first game in September. It’s all about staying focused during the offseason.”