UA encourages students to leave campus

Classes and finals have been canceled, and students are strongly encouraged to check out of residence halls and leave campus whenever is safely possible, according to University officials.

“If they can safely go home, that’s what we’re encouraging them to do,” said Alicia Browne, associate director of information and communication for Housing and Residential Communities. “There’s no power in the residence halls.”

Browne said residents have the option of either checking out with a resident adviser or desk assistant now or leaving and returning to check out by May 7.

If students opt to check out now, all they need to do is contact a housing staffer – either an RA or a desk assistant – and turn in their key. Residents will need to have their belongings out of their rooms, but RAs will not inspect the rooms at this time, Browne said.

“Staff will go through the room once the power’s back on and get in touch with the student if there’s damage or another issue,” Browne said.

Students may also leave campus now and return for their belongings before the halls close on May 7.

“Really, it’s up to the student,” Browne said. “Some students may not be prepared. They may want to go home and come back with someone else who can help them move out.”