Shelton State student dies in apartment during storm

The daughter of former Crimson Tide football player Shannon Brown is among the victims of the deadly storm that swept through Tuscaloosa on Wednesday.

Loryn Brown was killed when her apartment was leveled by a powerful tornado that devastated much of Tuscaloosa.

According to the Wetumpka Herald, Brown was a student at Shelton State Community College that was enrolled to begin studying at the University during fall 2011.

Madeline Faulk, a close friend who grew up with Brown in Prattville, Ala., said her and Brown’s families are very close.

“My mom is friends with Loryn’s mom,” Faulk said.  “Loryn’s mom was on the phone with her [daughter] and the tornado hadn’t hit her neighborhood yet.  She lost her [cell phone] signal and then her mom couldn’t get a hold of her again.”

Brown was discovered dead the following morning.

“We found out yesterday at 1 a.m. that they had found her body,” Faulk said.  “Her dad had to identify the body.”

It is believed Brown died from head trauma because there were no marks on Brown’s body, Faulk said.  Both parents have identified the body.

Brown’s father played football at the University under Gene Stallings and was a member of the 1992 National Championship Team.

If you have information about memorial services or if you are a friend or family member who would like to be quoted about Loryn Brown, email [email protected]. Additionally, if you have a photo of Brown, send it to the address listed above.