Summer term to begin as scheduled

The powerful storms that swept through Tuscaloosa on Wednesday left many students with questions and uncertainty about their University-related summer plans.

University administration cleared up many of those questions on Saturday morning by announcing that the summer classes will proceed as originally planned.

“Interim, summer and fall classes will begin as scheduled,” an announcement from University Relations said.

Still, many students are unsure of what housing options are available to them as they wait for summer classes to begin or prepare for University-sponsored projects.

“I’m going on the Alabama Action Abroad trip, and as far as I know, it’s still happening,” said Rachel Kasson, a freshman majoring in environmental science.  “We are going to Costa Rica to teach English and, if they cancelled it, I’d be very upset.”

Kasson said that the distance involved with travelling back and forth from her home in Florida makes staying on campus essential.

“They want us to leave if we can, but I can’t,” she said.  “I need to track down my RA again, I’m not sure if he’s there or if he left.”

Students living in dormitories won’t be afforded any extra time to get to move out, said Lauren Nelson, a resident assistant at Tutwiler.

“You still have to be out at the same time as before,” she said.  “You have until 10 a.m. on Saturday, May 7 to check out of your dorm.”

The electrical outage caused many residents to go home the day after the storm, she said.

“A lot of people have gone home,” Nelson said.  “Many went home just because of the power situation and will be back next week to check out.”

Since finals and graduation have been cancelled, the University is asking all students living in dormitories to leave as soon as possible.

“We are encouraging all campus residents who can safely return home to do so,” an announcement from the University said.  “Express check out will be available to help students check out. Residents can check out with their RA or at their Area Desk.”

Students who are taking summer classes will be able to stay in dormitories as originally planned, University spokesperson Cathy Andreen said.  Since University operations have returned to normal, the summer term is expected to proceed as was planned before Wednesday’s storms.

Other students, such as those from overseas, are unable to leave campus because they have nowhere to go.

Xiaoli An and Xu Zhao, two students from China, said that they are unable to leave Tuscaloosa because they are so far away from home and have to stay in Tuscaloosa for classes.

“We have to stay here because we have summer school,” said Zhao, who lives within walking distance of the devastated area.  “We have not received any emails of phone calls from faculty.”

Students in need of clothing, food, or toiletries may contact the following: Daystar Fellowship at 205-349-2446; Saint Mark’s United Methodist Church at 205-339-5990; or Five Points Baptist Church at 205-339-3220.

Students who are in need of housing due to damage to their apartment or house incurred by the storm should call Housing & Residential Communities at 205-345-7559 for assistance.

Students and parents who have questions may call UA’s emergency call center at 205-348-1001 or 877-408-1001