UA relief fund applications now online

Students and faculty can now apply online for relief money from the University of Alabama Acts of Kindness Fund.

The purpose of the fund is to “provide appropriate relief to eligible faculty, staff, and students of The University of Alabama who experience a qualifying emergency or hardship,” according to the fund’s website. The fund was launched on April 28, the day after an EF-4 tornado touched down in Tuscaloosa and destroyed the homes of thousands of residents, including UA students, faculty and staff.

“This is one of the many ways that people can help provide support to those impacted by Wednesday’s storm,” Andreen said in an interview Friday about the fund.

However, the fund is not exclusively for storm victims but instead applies to “any event or combination of circumstances which calls for immediate action or any pressing need following a sudden and unexpected happening, the occurrence of which was wholly unforeseen by the applicant,” according to the fund’s website. Examples include a fire, flood, tornado or medical emergency.

The purpose of the fund is to reimburse necessary expenses involving housing, medical needs and transportation. The fund is not intended to place the recipient in the same economic state as before the hardship and does not provide for “nonessential, luxury or decorative items or services,” according to the fund’s website.

Applications to receive money from the fund will be confidential. Relief recipients will be selected by a committee of UA employees selected by University President Robert Witt.

Students, faculty and staff who think they could qualify for funding should read the stipulations of the fund at http://financialaffairs.ua.edu/benfund/ and download an application. Applications can be submitted via email to to [email protected], faxed to (205)348-0313 or mailed to the Department of Human Resources, 303 Rose Administration, Box 870126, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487.

As of Friday afternoon, the UA Acts of Kindness Fund has received more than $1.6 million, including a $1 million donation from the athletic department.