Dining Dollars Benefit Several Restaurants

With Crimson Café recently going out of business, Buffalo Phil’s and Domino’s Pizza are the only two off-campus locations that currently accept Dining Dollars.

For students, Dining Dollars have been a pain to deal with at times, because there is no choice in whether or not you receive them. But for Phil’s and Domino’s, they have brought nothing but profit.

“Dining Dollars is our main source of income during the fall and the spring,” said Erin Childress, assistant manager of Buffalo Phil’s. “Basically, if we didn’t have Dining Dollars, we would lose 75 percent of our business during the weekdays. Dining Dollars are what keep this restaurant together.”

Mark Tidwell, general manager of Domino’s on 15th Street, said, “Dining Dollars and Bama Cash have been beneficial to everybody. Any business that goes out of business with [Dining Dollars] is doing something wrong, but it’s not because of the Dining Dollars.”

One glaring downside to Dining Dollars is the fee that businesses have to pay in order to receive the services. Crimson Café owner Rhett Madden said the 21 percent fee ultimately forced him to have to close down the business. Buffalo Phil’s also pays 21 percent.

“[The fee] does hurt, but we make up for it because we have such a high volume of business,” Childress said. “That 21 percent does not really affect our bottom line. We are in a location and students always come in on their breaks. Dining Dollars help us more than they hurt us.”

Since they do accept Dining Dollars, Phil’s may be the most visited place on The Strip. When asked if they would still eat at Phil’s and Domino’s if neither establishment took Dining Dollars, students supported Phil’s, but were hesitant about Domino’s.

“I would eat Phil’s because I like the quality of their food and the atmosphere in the restaurant,” said Cameron West, a senior majoring in telecommunication and film. “There are other pizza places that I enjoy more than Domino’s, but the convenience of Dining Dollars makes Domino’s appealing to me.”

Emily Mims, a senior healthcare management major, said, “I love Buffalo Phil’s. They have some of the best salads, and it’s easy to just walk there when you have a break from class. I’m not so sure about Domino’s, but Dining Dollars helps.”

Even though Dining Dollars has brought so much business to Phil’s, Childress is confident the business could survive without them, she said.

“I still think students would come in,” Childress said. “Our service is good, and we do have great lunch and drink specials. It would hurt us, but I don’t think we would be out for the count.”