Fall recruitment is right around the corner

Every year, hundreds of girls flock to the houses on Magnolia and Colonial Drive to participate in fall sorority recruitment.

Recruitment week, also known as rush week, is a time when the University’s 15 National Panhellenic Conference sororities go through a one-week process to try and recruit as many potential new members as possible.

However, many students – even those who are greek affiliated – have no idea how much work is put into making the week a success.

“There are so many details that go into planning rush – from flower arrangements and door songs to planning rush workshop, where we spend a week working on just the logistics of accommodating 1,700 women,” said Susanna Stanbury, the junior recruitment chair for Phi Mu sorority.

At the beginning of rush, all 1,600-1,700 girls will attend the convication ceremony, where they will be divided into groups alphabetically. These groups, called Rho Chi groups, are led by three or four girls who are in sororities but who have temporarily disaffiliated in order to prevent potential new members from joining a particular sorority based off of one representation.

Melissa Powell, a junior Rho Chi, said she applied to be a Rho Chi because while she loves being involved with her sorority sisters during rush, she wanted to help potential new members find out which house is best for them, instead of just telling them why her specific sorority is the best.

“I think every girl has a house for her, and I understand that the perfect house for one new member may not necessarily be my house,” Powell said.

Getting to know the girls and their personalities rather than simply having the “rushees” go through a simple application-only process is key for both active sorority members and the potential new members as well.

“It is so important for sororities to rush girls because we get a chance to personally know them instead of just seeing what they look like on paper,” Stanbury said. “It’s also equally as important for them to get to know us, to make sure they find their perfect fit.”

The goal for all of the active members in a sorority is to make girls feel welcome, said Norma Boyd, president of Chi Omega sorority.

“The thing girls need to keep in mind is that we are just as nervous as they are,” Boyd said. “We want the girls to like us, and we want to make them feel comfortable.”

Many incoming freshmen begin the process feeling nervous and are unsure of what to expect. However, active members strive to make the experience as easy and natural as possible.

“Just relax,” Boyd said. “Slow down and take it all in.”