SGA called for Obama, Congress to compromise

If you were frustrated with Congress and the debt crisis, you weren’t alone.

The UA Student Government Association, along with more than 115 other university SGAs, signed a letter regarding the debt crisis dated July 21 to President Obama, Speaker Boehner and leaders Pelosi, Reid and McConnell. SGA presidents from Georgetown University, the College of William and Mary and Stanford University were among the signees.

Prior to the August 2 signing of legislation that raised the debt ceiling, the debt crisis on Capitol Hill involved a failure by senators, representatives and the White House to reach an agreement on raising the debt ceiling. Republicans generally sought to raise the debt ceiling less while simultaneously slashing spending in certain areas and limiting tax increases. Democrats supported raising the debt ceiling, increasing taxes and preserving more spending for programs including Medicare and Medicaid. Shortly before the August 2 deadline, the $14.3 trillion debt ceiling was raised, allowing the U.S. to avoid defaulting on payments.

The letter, part of a movement by the student group “Do We Have a Deal Yet?” demonstrated college students’ concerns about the debt crisis.

“On behalf of nearly 2 million students on 116 campuses, we write to express our deep concern about the ramifications of failing to reach a bipartisan deal to raise the debt limit,” the letter began. “This is not about politics. Our country and our future are in serious trouble, and the clock is ticking.”

“Do We Have a Deal Yet?” was created by Carlos Reyes, a recent international politics graduate of Georgetown University, and two friends.

“I think in general, the reason we came together is because we think the way Washington is functioning, well, Washington is dysfunctional at the end of the day,” Reyes said.

Reyes said he and his friends felt partisan agendas, pledges and special interests have gotten in the way of finding a solution to the crisis. The movement itself is nonpartisan, Reyes said.

“We’re calling for a bold and balanced bipartisan deal, ideally a deal that is real and not raw in the sense that it’s not a short term fix,” Reyes said.

Grant Cochran, president of the UA SGA, said the issue needed to be handled now.

“Our generation will be the ones who have to deal directly with the economic blowback of a potential government default,” Cochran said. “By no means are we telling members of Congress how to act, we are simply making sure they are aware that students everywhere understand the importance of finding a solution.”

Cochran said the issue should not be one of politics.

“It is not going to be possible to find a deal that satisfies everyone’s demands so members of Congress need to put politics aside and find a strong solution,” Cochran said. “As young people, we are the future and we deserve a bold and bipartisan solution.”

Reyes said “Do We Have A Deal Yet?” received a response from the White House and arranged a teleconference with several student body presidents lasting a half hour.

“The president himself was very supportive of the cause. We requested meetings with congressional leaders, including Speaker Boehner, but have yet to hear back,” Reyes said.es said