UA hockey team mourns teammate

On Aug. 4, University of Alabama student David W. Mosier III died unexpectedly in his sleep, forcing his friends and family to say their sudden goodbyes. Mosier was about to begin his sophomore year at UA and will be remembered as more than just another student. Rather, he will be known for his undeniable drive, leadership and continuous accomplishments.

“David’s vivacious love for life set him apart,” read Mosier’s obituary in the Star-Ledger. “His confident composure, handsome good looks and big smile would light up a room. His charismatic and captivating personality coupled with his innate ability to make everyone laugh made him dear to many hearts.”

Although he was from Piscataway, N.J., Mosier managed to find a home in the South in his one short year at the University. He had become a member of the community and managed to make his mark in it as well.

“David was going to be the face of Bama hockey,” said Ryan Barletta, Alabama Frozen Tide president. “He was everything we could have hoped for. He was his very own unique person, which is rare to see in an 18-year-old kid. He was just David. And that meant a lot to people.”

Along with his family, friends and parents, David and Mary Ellen, an entire family within the Southeastern Conference mourns the death of Mosier. As a player on the Alabama Frozen Tide Ice Hockey Team, people throughout the region were able to meet Mosier and see all that he had to offer on and off the ice.

“David was always a positive influence on the mood of the team,” said friend and teammate Zach Dailey. “He was always in high spirits. David became one of my best friends and I will always miss him dearly. Things will definitely be different in the locker room without him.”

During his time on the hockey team, Mosier was chosen as the player of the game numerous times and had been chosen to take part in the Southeastern Conference Hockey All-Tournament Team.

Sean Keeler, a senior on the hockey team at the University, said that the team took a charter bus from Tuscaloosa all the way to New Jersey for the funeral. He said the Mosier family was overwhelmed to see such support from his buddies.

“David was a wonderful kid who was a great representative of the hockey team as well as the University of Alabama,” Keeler said.

In addition to being an enormous influence in his sport, Mosier had made the Dean’s List for his academic achievements in his freshman year at the University. Although he was not able to finish his UA career, his memory will forever inspire those he left behind.

“David was truly a complete student athlete who was such a big part of his incoming class,” Barletta said. “Together, they were really moving the program forward. If there were one thing I would have people remember about David, it is that he was loved. He was important, and we will all miss him. He won’t be soon forgotten.”