Alabama Press hosts a two-day book sale downtown

The University of Alabama Press has finally caved to community demands and reinstated the summer book sale. This Friday and Saturday, across from the Amtrak Station on Greensboro, book lovers can find a huge variety of scholarly and general trade books priced anywhere from $1 to $25.

“We have had a lot of requests for it,” Rebecca Minder, publicist for UAP, said. “If we go to a trade show or author event, people always ask if we can do this again, and we finally gave in and said yes.”

The holiday book sale has been very successful in the past, and patrons have looked forward to it every year. UAP intends to hold a December book sale again in addition to the summer book sale this weekend.

Minder said the book sale provides a place to get good books at very discounted prices, prices that beat Amazon.

“In the past, people have come by and bought armloads of books to use as gifts for friends and family members,” she said.

The press has been publishing books for classroom use and for the general trade audience for 65 years and seeks to be an asset to the community in more ways than one. UAP strives to be a means of advancement in education and scholarship and promote an understanding and appreciation of the history and culture of the state of Alabama.

The press is not only an asset to the community, but also a valuable and enriching experience for students.

“They will get to see the types of books we publish, as well as get resource reading for classes,” said Shanna Rivers, the marketing and sales manager of UAP.

The press publishes 65 to 70 books a year and will be shipping in books from their warehouse in Chicago to ensure that there will be something for everyone at the book sale. Popular books like “Butterflies of Alabama” and “The Crimson Tide” will be available at the sale.

“We have a lot of coffee table books, books on history, religion, sports and civil rights, and we have authors from all over the world,” Minder said.

Some of the authors represented will include Rick Bragg, Winston Groom, Kathryn Tucker Windham and Charlie Lucas, author of the very popular book “Tin Man.”

“Tin Man” showcases the life and work of Lucas, a self-taught artist. Much of his art is made from everyday trash. He has become nationally and internationally known as a great innovator in the field of American folk art.

Also, UA professor Chip Cooper’s photography will be available for purchase.

“We just want people to come out and make purchases, learn about the press and have a good time,” Rivers said.

Community members and students alike can check out the book sale Friday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. For more information about the University of Alabama Press’s summer book sale, contact Rebecca Minder at (205) 348-1566.

If You Go

What: Summer book sale

Where: University of Alabama Press

When: Friday and Saturday

Price: $1 to $25