Obama’s jobs plan could have local impact

In a Sept. 8 address to a rare joint-session of Congress, President Barack Obama proposed the American Jobs Act—a $447 billion plan consisting of a combination of tax cuts, public works programs and construction projects. The jobs proposal is designed to offer a solution to America’s rough unemployment numbers, and according to UA professors, the effects could be felt locally in Alabama and Tuscaloosa.

Anne Williamson, professor of political science at the University, said Obama’s jobs plan is likely to aid the ailing economy.

“Given the current state of the economy, any federal jobs plan is likely to have a positive impact,” Williamson said, pointing out specific projects like Project Rebuild America, which would aim to rehabilitate homes, businesses and communities.

“With the recent tornadoes, this makes that program particularly important for Alabama,” she said. “The tax credit provisions and reductions in payroll taxes for small businesses should have a positive impact on Tuscaloosa, since many small businesses were struck by tornadoes.”

Williamson also pointed out a problem that could affect AJA’s passage.

“Republicans usually favor the types of tax credits that are part of the AJA, but frankly, they must discredit the Obama Administration in any way they can to give them the best chance of prevailing in November 2012,” she said.

Ultimately, Williamson said she believes that some version of the AJA is likely to pass, but could look different from Obama’s proposal.

Not everyone supports President Obama’s plan. Cliff Sims, chairman of UA’s College Republicans, counted himself among those opposed.

“The American people are tired of throwing money we don’t have at our problems,” Sims said. He did say, though, that he supports the president’s efforts to extend and expand payroll tax cuts.

“That would put cash in the pockets of consumers and incentivize companies to hire,” he said. “But even that is only a small and temporary boost.”

Sims said his idea for putting Americans back to work was to end uncertainty in the economy.

“American entrepreneurs will succeed if given the opportunity,” he said. “But they are scared to death right now that the President is going to continue pulling the rug out from under them.”