Intramural football kicks off

As football fever hits a high across campus, University of Alabama students will have a chance to thunder onto a field of their own over the next few weeks.

Intramural flag football sign ups opened last Tuesday and close Sept. 13 at 4:30 p.m., according to the Recreation Center website.

Jason Johnston, a freshman majoring in physics, said he was excited about playing this year after playing football in his senior year of high school.

“It sounded like a lot of fun,” Johnston said. “It’s an awesome chance to meet guys and have fun playing the sport.”

Though football tends to be a male-dominated sport, flag football is open to male, female and co-ed teams, said Amanda Wright, program assistant of staff.

The male leagues are further divided into semi-pro, collegiate and pro levels, she said.

Austin Burch, a junior majoring in secondary education, is returning to the field this year in the collegiate division with his team, the Wiley Wombats.

Though the sport can conflict with study time, he said it’s worth the time management to step away from courses and be with friends to provide stress relief.

The Intramural Office does not require specific gear, but Burch said players cannot have pockets on their shorts to avoid hand and finger injuries. He also suggests players use cleats and gloves.

The sport is sometimes known for its aggressive nature, but neither Burch nor his teammates have been injured in the past. He said he has seen others receive injuries, like twisted ankles, bruised knees, and cuts and bleeding from diving.

Leagues are typically comprised of 10 to 12 players, but as many as 20 members are allowed to a team. Students may only sign up for one all-male or all-female league, so players on the sorority and fraternity teams are ineligible for intramural play, she said.

All-male and all-female teams require seven players on the field during game time; however, eight members are needed for co-ed teams, Wright said.

Those who do not have a team or who lack enough players can use the Free Agent list, according to the Rec’s website. New players may be added at any time until the last game of the season.

Intramural sports do not have scheduled team practices; however, players generally book the Recreational Field Sunday through Thursday nights from six to 11 p.m., Wright said.

The season lasts five weeks, during which teams are weeded out for the four-week playoffs, she said.

Teams fight for the ultimate prize of championship T-shirts, which are no joke, Wright said. Advancement to the playoffs is based on a winning record of 50 percent or more and a demonstration of good sportsmanship, she said.

Burch said sportsmanship is determined by how players handle the student referees who make the calls. Students are also evaluated by how they treat other teams, avoiding “trash talk.”

“Alabama’s about class,” he said. “It’s all determined by how you act and you have to realize it’s just a game, it’s just for fun.”

Burch said he has made it to the second round of the playoffs in the past, but expects to get further this year.

There will be a mandatory captain meeting on Sept. 15, Wright said. Co-captains may be sent if the captains are unable to attend the meeting.

Team members should bring their ACTion Card and arrive 15 minutes early for game night, according to the website.

Players may register their team for a fee of $60 at the Intramural Sports office in the Rec Center. Only one person per team is required for sign-up.