Acceptance necessary for growth

There is a lot to say about the strength of tradition and the power of change.

The University of Alabama has the vision of both maintaining tradition and creating new precedents.

So much of our school is rooted in our past. Our football team has a “tradition of greatness.” We are the historic “Capstone” of the state of Alabama. We are proud of the historical markers that sprinkle our campus. As a school, we are blessed to have the opportunity of both a rich past and a very promising future.

Sometimes, however, the pursuit of both tradition and ambition clash, and we are met with an obstacle that requires a choice between the two.

Sure, there are traditions within the smaller cultural institutions that make up this

university. Many organizations thrive on the tradition that has made their organization

relevant. But when the claim of “tradition” starts to get in the way of moving forward, we

must question the importance of that tradition.

Part of the history of this university is a battle of race. Race is such a personal

and intense aspect of society that it has the ability to evoke powerful emotions over a

span of centuries.

The University of Alabama’s relationship with racial tension is not unknown; the Capstone has found itself in the spotlight on more than one occasion.

Much of The University of Alabama greek system has always been white. There is no denying that. And this past rush, this “race issue” didn’t just fly under the radar. It was brought to our attention and dialogue on the matter was encouraged.

But this is what happens when somebody acknowledges the white elephant standing in the corner throughout the party. She leaves the corner to enter our conversation, and none of us know how to talk to her.

Ignoring the issue of race at our university obviously isn’t going to work. You are

a very confused individual if you think racial tension is no longer present on this campus or in the South.

Once we can admit this to ourselves, we can then move forward.

But, how do we do that? Naturally, many find themselves pointing fingers. It’s easier to blame others than take responsibility for oneself. But, just as we learned in elementary school, when you point your finger at someone else, there are always three fingers pointing back at you.

Instead of searching for a scapegoat from within the greek system, the administration or even the culture around us, let’s reconsider a better plan of action – key word: action.

To be honest, there isn’t much to be said any more. What will determine our future now will not be the words we say, but the things we do. My heart goes out to anyone who has felt racially segregated by the greek system; it is not fair to you.

What we need to do is prove that our actions speak louder than words. If it isn’t a

case of racism, prove it. If it was, make it better and right this wrong.

This is always easier said than done, though. Change always meets opposition,

and this is no exception.

However, think about the effect of this change. Changing a tradition of racial exclusivity is a change that must be made.

In what way could abandoning this tradition have anything other than positive consequences? Growth in this sense, growth of our culture to one of more refined acceptance, would make our University and our greek system better atmospheres for student advancement.

SoRelle Wyckoff is a junior majoring in history and English. Her column runs on Mondays.