Student Organization Seating has potential to be great

Throughout the past month, The Crimson White has put an extra emphasis on the Student Organization Seating selection process. Many students saw a system with several flaws, and did their absolute best to correct it. Unfortunately, the system has been flawed for years. It will take much more than a few personal initiatives from individuals in order to correct it.

But there are a lot of great things about Student Organization Seating that are seldom brought up on these pages.

Its biggest merit is the massive incentive it gives all organizations. Many members are told throughout their college career that their involvement around campus can help their organization’s block seating resume. Student organization leaders know that the success of their philanthropy events go a long way in moving them closer to front row, thus creating a more active and giving student body.

It is sad that it requires that much incentive for people to be productive members of society, but it is a fact of life. Sometimes people need an extra motivation to give back, and having good seats is, more often than not, that motivation.

It has been noted many times that a new incentive program must be put in place for student organizations, yet none have surfaced.

The process also gives all students a motivation to get more involved on campus. While only a few non-greek organizations are currently in the seating area, any organization can apply. By taking the time to join an organization, attend its weekly meetings, and participate in any major events, a member should be able to reap the benefits that come with joining that particular organization.

While there are many good things about the entire student organization seating process, there are still many faults. There is no set code or guideline for the process, and the general perception of it stinks of corruption.

A plan needs to be set in place now in order to save Student Organization Seating. In order for this process to go on any longer, it will take an entire revamping of the application process.

The process must be codified. The current process is time consuming and controversial. It affects almost every student at every home football game. Yet, for whatever reason, it is nowhere in the SGA Code of Laws. This traditional system, that has been corrupted time and time again, cannot be expected to improve without proper guidelines.

There must be a committee that will research the system and write a code for the procedure. They must engage all students in a discussion to revamp the process.  What parts of the current system aren’t fair? What other SEC schools have blocked sections, and how do they do it? Members of this committee have to be diverse, and the opinions of students from all corners of the UA campus must be included in their research.

The application process needs to begin in the spring. Putting together an application that contains every individual member’s accomplishments in the past year is a very time-consuming process. It takes weeks of collecting data and checking for authenticity.

The time between move-in dates and the first football game is simply not long enough. If the forms are due in May, the committee has all summer to grade the forms and assign the sections.

Many people have called for the end of Student Organization Seating. They have claimed it to be too big of a nuisance for the administration, or that it is simply an unfair system. I believe, under responsible leadership, that the SGA is very capable of making a more transparent system.

The process is an incredible way to help all organizations strive to be their best.    The football team drives this university, and there is no better tool to motivate the students than dictating where they can view this championship-caliber team. There are dozens of student leaders who genuinely want to improve this campus. They simply need a process that can facilitate that change.

Jake Gray is a senior majoring in journalism and economics. His column runs on Tuesdays.