UA shows school spirit by painting the town

Margo Smith

Taylor Guthans, a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma, paints the storefront of Private Gallery Monday afternoon for the Paint the Town Red competition. / CW | Margo SmithDriving down The Strip this week, passers-by can see elephants charging across store fronts and motivational sayings painted in the sacred colors of crimson and white all as a part of the University’s homecoming festivities.

Paint the Town Red is an annual event sponsored by the Student Government Association in which various organizations across campus sign up to paint Alabama themed artwork on the windows of local businesses around Tuscaloosa. The theme given to this year’s event is “The Tradition Rolls On.”

Members of various organizations can be seen around town this week painting their displays.

“It is a great way to display our school spirit while using our artistic talents,” said Kristen Alexander, a sophomore and member of the Student Alumni Association.

Sororities also take part in Paint the Town Red.

“We participate in homecoming events because we have a lot of pride in our school,” said Kelsey Farman, a freshman and member of Kappa Kappa Gamma. “We also have tried to be very creative in our design.”

The paintings feature charging elephants, crimson tides and different motivational sayings to inspire the Tide for Saturday’s game against the Vanderbilt Commodores. The displays will be judged Friday at 1 p.m., when a winner will be announced.

Molly Molloy Gambel, a junior and director of Paint the Town Red said Paint the Town Red is a good way to encourage the school to participate.

“Anyone who loves Alabama and art and wants to show their passion for it should participate in Paint the Town Red and the art contest,” Gambel said.

In addition to the Paint the Town Red activity, the SGA is sponsoring an art contest, which is a new event in place of last year’s banner competition. For the art contest, students will submit their work to be judged on Friday before the homecoming game. The art will be displayed Wednesday and Thursday in the Ferguson Center Ballroom and will be open for public viewing.

By offering this new art contest, the SGA was looking for a way to encourage more participation in homecoming activities and show off the unique talents of the student body.

“We want to appeal to a larger demographic,” Gambel said.

Gambel said that she hopes homecoming will boost school morale in Tuscaloosa after the April 27 tornado.

“Homecoming is a great way for the University to come together and celebrate something that we all love, which is Alabama football,” Gambel said.