Q&A | Lauren Gilonske is your only option for VP of DEI

Lauren Gilonske, a junior majoring in political science, is running unopposed for the position.

Photo courtesy of SGA. Graphic CW / Leah Goggins

Isabel Hope, Contributing Writer

How did you originally get involved with the Student Government Association (SGA)?

I currently serve as the chief of staff to Caitlyn McTier, who is vice president of diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI). It’s provided such valuable insight about the communications side of the cabinet, which will be really exciting moving forward in SGA.

What made you want to run for this position?

I really am running for vice president of DEI to ensure that every opportunity possible is given to students. I believe that there are so many opportunities and ways to promote positive change, which is why I wanted to run for such a meaningful position. 

What do you think makes you the best choice for this position?

I know the frustrations, the triumphs, what has worked and what hasn’t in DEI programming, especially in SGA.

What is your opinion on the election being uncontested?

I do think that it is an important conversation to have when looking at the democracy of our students and of SGA. I do not take it lightly that I am unopposed.

What do you see as the biggest problem on campus currently?

Disparities, ideologies, belief systems and opinions are becoming more and more indicative of someone’s personal identity, which can become difficult with facilitating conversations of diversity, equity and inclusion. 

What do you hope to accomplish in this position?

The breadth of DEI work is so large, and so I really want to push to be inclusive through our diversity and inclusion training and programming initiatives that are put out by this position.

What is one last thing you want voters to know about you?

I really want voters and members of our campus community to know that I’m here first and foremost to serve. Of course, every campaign has a hashtag. So use #GrowthGilonske and on March 2, vote Lauren Gilonske for VP for DEI on MyBama.