Witt State of the University

In his State of the University address yesterday, President Robert Witt spoke about his hopes that the University will continue “to grow with balanced excellence.”

Witt began by comparing the University to a chain.

“The strength of a chain can be no greater than its weakest link,” Witt said, “and as a University, we are forging the strongest of links.”

Unlike other colleges across the country, Witt said the University becomes stronger and better every year. Most aspects of the University are prospering and growing rather than failing, which is more than most universities are able to claim, considering the effects of the recent recession.

Witt began describing the strengths of the University by praising the new freshman class. There were more than 22,000 applicants this past year, and 5,700 enrolled, making this the sixth consecutive year to enroll the largest freshman class in UA history.

“I do not think that growth has hurt us; it has made us stronger,” said Seth Panitch, professor in the theatre department, in regards to the consistent growth of the University.

As the number of students grows, new faculty members are added, as well. The University welcomed 40 new faculty members this year. Also, Witt said $3.9 million is available to invest in the continued growth of the faculty in the future.

However, it is not just the students and faculty that are growing in size and strength.

“Every program across campus is stronger today than last year,” Witt said.

Witt spoke of the accolades of the Honors College, with 1,500 entering freshmen who, as a group, had an average high school GPA of 4.0 and represent the top one percent nationally in ACT scores.

He also acknowledged the success of the College of Engineering.

“It is the most rapidly growing engineering program in the county,” Witt said.

Witt also addressed plans for new buildings across campus to accommodate the growing number of students and faculty. There are 41 new buildings on campus this year, and the North Bluff Residential Community, which will house around 875 students, will open in 2012.

In addition, a Student Recreation Center will be built in place of Rose Towers, and Graves and Lloyd Hall will be renovated.

Overall, everyone in attendance seemed to be impressed by Witt’s comments and motivated by the growth and strength of the University.

“President Witt is the reason this University is so great,” said Peyton Falkenburg, SGA director of programming and advancement. “His vision and leadership have motivated the students and faculty to help make this one of the best universities in the nation.”

Witt closed by once again stating that the University is growing with balanced excellence.

“This is not a measure of progress,” he said, “but a foundation we will continue to build upon.”