Here we go again

Thanks to the University of Alabama’s Student Government Association, The Crimson White may never have to search for a story idea again. From block seating to the resignation of SGA president Grant Cochran, UA’s SGA is keeping the CW staff busy.

The call to abandon corrupt traditions and adopt fair, transparent and inclusive policies fills the pages of our student newspaper. But block seating, a predominantly greek SGA and statements of “no comment” from UA’s administration are alive and well. So what is the purpose of demanding the SGA implement change, create a new application process or release documents to the CW?

Mikee Mosley missed the point in his letter to the editor, “Who cares about the Student Government Association, anyway?” Ignoring the happenings of the SGA or pretending not to care that corruption pervades various groups on campus cannot improve the University. Taking action can.

Students should participate in elections and have a general understanding of what’s going on, but I doubt angry articles ridiculing the administrators and SGA members for their failures will bring about this change.

Instead of writing another snarky satire about block seating or an article that attributes equal importance to the SGA and state or local government, encourage students to participate in changing this University.

Urge them to engage the democratic process by voting in SGA elections and running for elected positions. Tell all the student groups to apply for block seating or challenge them to go and sit in a reserved section. Show students opportunities to work on the campaign teams of SGA candidates.

There are plenty of ways to act, but writing overly apathetic or inflammatory accusations and demands doesn’t seem to be working. Stop bemoaning the current situation.

It doesn’t matter how clever or accurate your article is. It’s time to try something new.

Katherine McClellan is a senior majoring in political science and journalism.