Kindermusik introduces music in early years

Freshmen aren’t the youngest music students at Moody Music Hall.

Through the Community Music School, a non-degree grant-funded program, UA offers Kindermusik music outreach classes for children six weeks all the way up to seven years old.

According to the School of Music’s Web site, Kindermusik “Village” is a specific class targeted with families of children six weeks to 18 months old. The classes are held in the Moody Music Hall once a week for the Village classes. Each session lasts up to 45 minutes. In that time the child, parent and teacher engage in music massage stimulation among many other child-developing sensory activities.

This program allows the child and both caregivers to experience eight weeks of enriched and developmental learning skills through music skills. In the classes, the child will develop early music and movement skills. It also strengthens the bond between the child and parents.

“Being able to see a child learn before kindergarten is a blessing,” said Laura Woolf, who has been working with Kindermusik for 14 years.

Student volunteers are welcomed at the Kindermusik classes. Because of limited space in the classrooms and with the children, only one or two volunteers are allowed in each room.

Those who have been able to observe the classes are those who are fulfilling requirements for majors that include music therapy and early childhood development.

All majors are accepted to volunteer with the children’s program. A professor’s recommendation letter is required.

There are also other ways to volunteer with the program. Raising money for scholarships is a huge part. Families have the chance to apply for scholarships.

Some students are not volunteers or observing for academic reasons. They are student-parents. The program each term will at least have four to five student-parent families taking part in the classes offered.

“This program is used to connect the community with the University, “said Erin Wood, who graduated from the University with a degree in music therapy.

“Relationships with the families are the most important to me,” said Woolf. “There are some families that stay with the program till it finishes.”