Students, faculty protest social inequality

A group of students and faculty assembled outside Foster Auditorium to hold a peaceful protest march from the Malone-Hood Plaza to the Ferguson Center Plaza on Wednesday. The protesters represented numerous campus organizations, ethnicities and backgrounds from the University of Alabama campus.

Sean Hudson, the director of public relations for the Social Work Association of Cultural Awareness, said the Not Isolated march was planned in response to recent events on campus that have led members of SWACA and the other cosponsoring organizations to believe it is time to make a statement about the campus and the type of collegiate environment it fosters.

Hudson also said the march was about building alliances by fostering a culture of inclusiveness while erasing intolerance experienced by members of the student body, as well as to emphasize that the use of derogatory language and similar intolerable incidents directed at students are not isolated.

Before the march began, Brianna Darby, secretary of SWACA, said she learned of the incidences that have occurred on campus once she joined the association and was surprised that this type of behavior is still in existence today.

“I hope there will be more respect between students, regardless of where they come from,” Darby said.

Hudson said a derogatory phrase was directed toward him last spring, which, in conjunction with recent occurrences, prompted him to organize the event.

“The University is not as inclusive as it is diverse,” Hudson said. “I am hoping there will be more accepting behavior once attention is brought to the matter.”

Kimberly Mosher, a participant who recently joined SWACA, said she felt obligated to participate because segregation should not occur in this day and age.

“Where I am from, this isn’t an issue,” she said. “It just isn’t acceptable anymore.”

When the protesters stepped off of the Malone-Hood Plaza onto 6th Avenue, there were University of Alabama Police Department officers directing traffic to allow the group to cross University Boulevard safely, and news crews from various stations were there to document the events that occurred.

Almost all of the participants carried posters with them on the march. Some of the posters exhibited the phrase “We are all God’s people,” while others had the words “This is not an isolated incident” printed on them.

There were a number of members from the Black Faculty and Staff Association who attended the march, including Joyce Stallworth, president of the organization.

Hudson said this is the first of a number of events that will occur on campus over the next year to erase intolerance and promote inclusiveness.