Sorority Row Sweets

unknown

Delegates from the University of Alabama Junior Panhellenic hosted their annual Sorority Row Trick-or-Treat Monday, during which they provided candy and entertainment to children in costume from the Tuscaloosa area.

“The Tuscaloosa community just does so much for us as a campus and as the greek community,” said Megan Hayes, the director of programming for Panhellenic. “And it’s just something nice for us to do to give back and help celebrate a holiday in a fun way.”

Hayes, a senior majoring in telecommunications and film, said this was her second year overseeing the event, but it has been going on for almost ten years.

“The girls that put it on are junior Panhellenic women – freshmen who are elected by their house, Hayes said. “They do a lot of community service throughout the year, especially with Sorority Row Trick or Treat.”

“It gets bigger and better every year,” Hayes said. “The most rewarding part of all of this is to see the kids getting their faces painted, smiling, laughing, and that really makes it worth it. All the work I do with Panhellenic Exec and the junior Panhellenic women is really worth it.”

Hayes said that people came from areas all around Tuscaloosa, and that student and alumni parents were also very supportive.

Sara Frese, a freshman majoring in English and the junior Panhellenic representative for Chi Omega, said that the event was more than just community service.

“The work we put in is all worth it because it feels so good to give back to Tuscaloosa,” Frese said. “Seeing the kids react to getting the candy is a really great feeling.”

Frese said a child’s Angry Bird costume was her favorite of the evening.

“We got every person in our pledge class to bring in candy, and all of our girls went out and got costumes,” Frese said. “The work we put in is all worth it because it feels so good to give back to Tuscaloosa.”

Margaret Holloway, a senior majoring in communications studies and the public relations chair for Alpha Kappa Alpha attended and participated even though her sorority is Pan-Hellenic and not a member of the council that organized it.

“It helps our sorority be active in the community,” Halloway said. “We make sure everyone who wants to come can come. Everybody likes doing community service and doing something that the kids will enjoy.

“It’s an annual event, we love giving back to the community, especially for the children because it’s something I know they look forward to,” Holloway said.