Dinner Theatre gives Tuscaloosa “Couples’ Therapy”

Local actors are prepared to demonstrate that laughter might be the best therapy for couples to enjoy the Valentine’s season.

The Actor’s Charitable Theatre group is putting on their presentation of a unique addition to the post-Valentine’s Day hype titled “Couples’ Therapy” on Feb. 19 and 20 at 6:30 p.m. at the Forest Lake Methodist Church.

Also known as “When Cupid Left the Building,” the production will feature some of pop history’s most infamous couples going to a therapy session set up Dr. Phil and Oprah. The dinner theatre will serve salad, lasagna and a dessert, which could be served to attendees by the characters themselves.

Characters will include Elvis and Priscilla Presley, Fred and Wilma Flintstone, Scarlett and Rhett from Gone with the Wind and a special character catering for the event, Paula Deen.

“It’s a nice way to enjoy a show and meal all in one,” said Joey Lay, a senior majoring in vocal performance and a performer in the show.

This is the second theater production the group will put on because the first received such good feedback. Alisha Powell, the director of the production and a graduate student majoring in criminal justice, said it is a turned around project from love story to a comedy.

“The group of performers are all different, and they all have a love for the theatre,” Powell said. “It’s so important to support the arts in Tuscaloosa because it is crucial to the education of all,” said Powell.

Powell also said just because the economic times are tough for most doesn’t mean audiences should miss the dinner theatre to save on cash. She said the price of the show, which has a meal included, is around the same price as a nice dinner at a restaurant.

“It’s an interesting and different take on a dinner theatre production,” said Margaret Landerfelt, a junior majoring in biochemistry. “Also, it sounds like a smart move for the arts in Tuscaloosa to introduce a different take to the Valentine’s Day tradition.”

The ticket prices for the dinner theatre are $15 for a single ticket, $25 for a couple’s ticket, and $100 to purchase a table for four to eight.

For more information on the event or to purchase tickets, call 394-1699 or 758-8124 or e-mail [email protected]. For more information on the Actor’s Charitable Theatre group and upcoming events, visit theactonline.com.