Green stepping up as senior leader for men’s basketball

Green stepping up as senior leader for mens basketball

Every great team in college basketball has one thing in common: a leader. Last year, it was Kemba Walker at UConn. The year before that it was Kyle Singler at Duke, and before that it was Tyler Hansborough at North Carolina. The list goes on and on. This season, Alabama will look to senior forward JaMychal Green. Green led the team in rebounding and scoring last year, and with veterans like Charvez Davis and Senario Hillman gone, it’ll be up to the only senior on the roster to lead the team. “I’m very excited to have him back as a senior,” head coach Anthony Grant said at SEC Media Day on Thursday. “Not only because of the type of talent that he brings to the team, but his experience and his leadership.” Early in the season last year, however, it was a different story. Just five games in, Green was suspended for “conduct detrimental to the team.” “I think the biggest thing was understanding that I want the same thing he wanted,” Grant said of the suspension. “He understood that there was certainly a lot that he expected from himself and that he expected from his team.” Green sat down and had a meeting with Grant that helped him get refocused. “We talked some things over and came to a mutual understanding,” Green said. “There were some things I had to do to get back on the team that I did and just show him that I wanted to be back on the team and play with my teammates.” “I think it really defined the year for us in terms of his growth and progression over the course of the season and the success that our team was able to enjoy over the course of the season,” Grant said about the suspension. Green bounced back and put together an outstanding performance for the Tide over the course of the season. He averaged 15.5 points and 7.5 rebounds per game and was named an SEC All-American. But this year, Green wants more. While most Alabama students were at home enjoying their summer break, Green was in China playing for the United States in the World University Games. The team finished in fifth place and Green was second on the team in scoring. “Just getting in shape and playing with all the great players around the nation,” Green said about playing in the tournament. “It was just a great experience, seeing all that competition around the world. It was fun.” Even opposing coaches are taking notice. LSU coach Trent Johnson said he’s ready to see Green gone. “JaMychal Green, I will be so glad when [he] graduates,” Johnson said. “The sooner [he] can walk out the door, the better it is for me.” His own coach likes him just fine. “I like what I’m seeing out of him,” Grant said. “I think he’s poised to have a great year.”