Maxim raises money for tornado relief

Maxim Magazine will give members of the Tuscaloosa community a chance to have fun while raising funds for Tuscaloosa tornado relief tonight at Rounders on The Strip.

The event, hosted by Delta Tau Delta fraternity and the men’s and women’s lacrosse teams, will last from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. The party will be complete with giveaways, raffles and all night drink specials.

Big names such as Maxim, Crown Royal, Pinnacle, Bud Light, Fireball and several others will be giving away coozies, keychains, T-shirts and other freebies. Hungry Howie’s on the Strip is also offering a $1 discount on pizza for showing your ticket from the event tonight.

Two footballs autographed by current Crimson Tide players will be raffled off. Raffle tickets are $1 each or 10 for $5.

The night’s entertainment will include Tuscaloosa band Trial By Fire performing onstage and DJ Spinns in the back room.

Four Maxim girls will be flown in for the party and will be available for photos and to help with the night’s promos and giveaways. The Maxim girls will be styled locally at Tara Lane Salon, who is also offering a Maxim makeover – which includes hair and makeup – to be given away at the fundraiser.

Tickets to the event are $10 each. Money from ticket sales and raffle tickets, as well as a portion of Rounders’ sales, will benefit Tuscaloosa tornado relief. Some of the money from ticket sales will also benefit the lacrosse teams as part of their fundraising goals.

Though it is difficult to predict how much money the event will raise, event organizers hope for a good amount to go to tornado relief.

“[We hope to raise] as much as possible,” said Karl Loehle, DTD Philanthropy Chair. “Hopefully it turns out to be a few thousand dollars.”

Aside from raising funds for tornado relief, Charlie White, one of the event organizers, hopes the event will raise awareness about the continuing needs of the city and the surrounding areas that were impacted by the April 27 tornado. White is also grateful to Grant McCabe, owner of Rounders, for allowing the use of his venue for the fundraiser and donating a portion of tonight’s sales to tornado relief.

“[The Maxim event] will bring attention to the fact that the recovery of this community is far from over and that continued efforts need to be made to raise the necessary awareness and funds to those still suffering from the tornado’s impact,” said Jason Hebert, men’s lacrosse president and team captain.

Hebert looks forward to the opportunity to work with other campus organizations to achieve a common goal.

“[Men’s lacrosse is] looking forward to working with the women’s lacrosse team, Delta Tau Delta, Rounders and students from all across campus to raise funds for the victims of the natural disaster last April,” Hebert said.