ESPN analyst to speak about BCS, Alabama-LSU

Brad Edwards, a University of Alabama graduate and ESPN’s BCS analyst since 1999, will speak about Alabama’s game against LSU and the implications of the historical matchup in the Heritage Room of the Ferguson Center today at 6 p.m.

Jackie Hurt, director of development for the Honors College, said she and Edwards have been friends since he worked at the University for Sports Information in the ‘90s.

“Being a UA grad, Brad agreed to speak to our students next time ESPN GameDay was in town,” Hurt said. “We were delighted when ESPN GameDay announced they were coming to Tuscaloosa for the Alabama vs. LSU game. The Honors College Assembly and Sigma Chi fraternity – Brad was a Sigma Chi here at Alabama – were eager to host the event and thought Brad would be the perfect speaker to get this already-hyped town ready for the big game.”

Hurt said Edwards will speak about how he prepared as a student at the University for his career in sports broadcasting, his work at the University’s Sports Information Department and his experience at ESPN.

Edwards will also talk about how he became the BCS “guru” when no one else seemed to be able to communicate how the Bowl Championship Series worked and the historical significance of Saturday’s game, she said.

“We hope students will realize from Brad’s experience that hard work, determination and a willingness to do the jobs that are difficult and/or no one else wants to do will help you gain a unique expertise and realize your career dreams, making your job comprised of the things you enjoy most in life,” Hurt said.

Edwards will be in Tuscaloosa for the Alabama-LSU game as a part of ESPN’s College GameDay Radio broadcast crew, for which he is an analyst alongside host Ryen Russillo and former NFL player Trevor Matich.

ESPN’s College GameDay Radio airs on Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. and will be broadcast live on campus on Nov. 5.

Cami McCant, a sophomore majoring in accounting and an intern with the Honors College, said it’s neat to see alumni from the University coming back to share their experiences with current students.

“It is going to be so great for students to hear Brad Edwards speak about his predictions for the LSU game this weekend, especially since the game is the only thought consuming every UA student’s mind,” McCant said. “It seems like too great of an opportunity to pass up.”

The event is free to the public and is presented by the University of Alabama’s Honors College Assembly and Sigma Chi fraternity.

“All Alabama fans are excited about this big game,” Hurt said. “Having BCS Brad Edwards in town is the perfect ingredient to provide an educated understanding of how Alabama is going to defeat LSU Saturday.”