Announcements for 2/19/2010

Fraternity, sorority hold bone marrow drive

Pi Kappa Phi and Chi Omega will hold a bone marrow drive Wednesday in honor of Blaise and Madeline Finnegan. Blaise, a UA freshman, and Madeline, a freshman at Huntsville High School, both have Fanconi anemia, requiring bone marrow transplants.

From 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Wednesday, students can sign up to join the marrow registry. Donors must be over 16, weigh more than 110 pounds and show photo ID The bone marrow drive will be held at the Pi Kappa Phi house and on Sorority Row.

Kappa Delta holds Shamrock Run 5K

The Zeta Chapter of Kappa Delta is sponsoring a registered 5K run to benefit the local charity CAPS: Child Abuse Prevention Services and the national organization Prevent Child Abuse of America. The Kappa Delta Shamrock Run will be held on Saturday at the Kappa Delta house located on sorority row. The race will start at 10 a.m. The registration fee is $20. Checks should be made out to Kappa Delta. The donation fee will include a t-shirt, unless the runner wants to donate all of the money to the charities. Awards will be given to the top three men and to the top three women finalists.

Last Lecture nomination deadline is Friday

The Graduate School will be accepting student nominations for the 2010 Last Lecture until Friday. This is an opportunity for students to nominate the professor they would most like to hear deliver a lecture based on this premise: “If this were your last time to address a group of students at the Capstone, what would you say to them?” Last year’s winner was Utz McKnight from the Department of Political Science. Students can submit an electronic nomination by going to: graduate.ua.edu/events/lastlecture.html.

Body Appreciation Week kicks off with fashion show

The Fashion Rocks and So Does My Body Fashion Show will be Feb. 23 at 7 p.m. in the Ferguson Student Center Theater. In celebration of Body Appreciation Week, this fashion show will feature all sizes to promote healthy body image and prevent eating disorders. For more information, contact Health Promotion and Wellness at 348-3878.

Financial Aid Awareness month is February

Student Financial Aid will host an open house Feb. 26 between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. on the plaza between the Student Services Center and Ferguson Center. In the event of inclement weather, the event will be held on the first floor of the Student Services Center.

To learn more about financial aid, visit financialaid.ua.edu.

“Matsuri in the Mall” to be Saturday

Capstone International Center will be hosting “Matsuri in the Mall” Feb. 27 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. The event will be located at the University Mall. “Matsuri in the Mall” offers an opportunity to experience Japanese culture. Through an exciting variety of cultural exhibits and performances, such as Japanese martial arts demonstrations, Sumo wrestling, Kimono display and many other activities, the group hope to build friendship and increase an understanding of the country and people of Japan. A raffle drawing will be held at 4:00pm during the closing ceremony to give away gift certificates to various local restaurants.

For more information, please contact Capstone International Center at 348-5256.