What’s wrong with Iran’s nukes?

Since last fall when it was announced that a secret nuclear facility had been discovered in the Iranian city of Qom, concerns about the nefarious plans of the Islamic regime have been running at a fever pitch. Unless they are stopped, the logic goes, Iran will develop nuclear weapons, give them to their proxy terrorist outfits in Palestine and Lebanon, set off an arms race throughout the Middle East and possibly destroy Israel, if not the world. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has taken advantage of a tour of the Persian Gulf to denounce the Iranian government and their recent claim toward advancing uranium enrichment, which they claim to be only for the medical use of isotopes.

First of all, there is no evidence that the Iranians are actually working towards a nuclear weapon. Supreme Leader Khamenei and President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad have both repeatedly stated that it would be against their religious beliefs to develop such a weapon. Remember that Iran is, after all, a theocracy. Although Iran has occasionally acted somewhat deceptively, they have complied with inspections by the International Atomic Energy Agency. Iran is also a signatory of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty. Still, many seem convinced otherwise.

Even if Iran is seeking nukes, how can you blame them? They are repeatedly threatened with military strikes by Israeli and American politicians and are the second most powerful state in the region behind their primary rival, Israel, a nuclear power. These men are not raving religious zealots who would shoot off their missiles immediately upon acquiring them, thus inviting the rest of the world to literally obliterate them. Economic sanctions will also probably prove to be worthless. We can only hope American policy doesn’t continue even further toward a military strike.

Edward Mostoller is a sophomore majoring in political science.