Female student stabbed at Lakeside Dining Hall

A female UA student was stabbed by another female student Thursday night at Lakeside Dining Hall just before midnight.

UAPD and Tuscaloosa County Homicide investigators responded to the stabbing.

“On Thursday, Nov. 10, 2011, at approximately 11:45 p.m., UAPD responded to an altercation in a restroom at Lakeside Dining Hall,” said University spokeswoman Cathy Andreen, speaking for UAPD. “Involved in the altercation were two female UA students who are or have been involved in a dating relationship with a UA male student who was also present during the altercation.”

“The victim, a 19 year old female, was transported to DCH by ambulance with multiple stab wounds that appeared to be non-life-threatening,” said Captain Loyd Baker of Tuscaloosa County Metro Homicide. “The suspect, an 18 year old female, was also transported to DCH with injuries to her head.”

Sarah Steeley, a freshman majoring in psychology, was at Lakeside when the incident occurred and saw the victim after the stabbing.

“I didn’t see it first hand but one of the guys I was with was in the bathroom when it happened,” she said. “One [of the women] was handcuffed [and] the other had blood on her face and thigh. She was sliced on the forehead, in the side, back, and thigh.”

Baker explained that no arrests have been made by Tuscaloosa County Homicide because the suspect claimed she was acting in self-defense. According to Baker, the suspect said the victim had threatened her in the past, followed her into the bathroom with several friends, and started the fight herself.

“[The] suspect stated the victim started the fight and she used a pocket/folding knife to get her off of her,” Baker said. “Due to the self-defense issue, this case will need further investigation to determine if charges will be brought.”

Andreen said the only arrest so far was made by UAPD, who arrested the male student for allegedly assaulting the suspect after the original altercation that wounded the victim.

“The male student was arrested and charged with misdemeanor domestic violence,” Andreen said. “The three students have been given interim suspensions until the investigation is concluded. Following normal procedures, the Tuscaloosa County Metro Homicide Unit and UAPD are investigating the altercation between the two female students to determine whether charges will be brought, due to self-defense claims raised by one of the female students.”

The names of the three students have not been released.

“Events of this nature are extremely rare on our campus,” said Deborah Lane, assistant vice president for University relations. “A UAPD officer was on site at Lakeside Dining when the altercation occurred, and immediately took control of the situation.

“The University emphasizes that behavior that is intimidating or threatening or that results in harm to others is not acceptable in any way on this campus, and violations will be dealt with quickly and appropriately.” Lane said.

Taylor Holland and Ashanka Kumari contributed to this report.