City needs student volunteers

The Tuscaloosa Area Volunteer Reception Center is looking for student volunteers to assist with the clean up of Alberta City and the surrounding areas. Since the summer, the number of available volunteers has decreased, but the need for help is still there.

“There’s still a strong need for volunteers,” said Jon Lambert, TAVRC student coordinator. “Over the summer it was awesome to have all the volunteers we wanted because they were coming daily, but now we’re kind of having to reach out to let volunteers know we’re still there.”

Lambert said there is also the “community led efforts in affected neighborhoods” initiative available for groups of volunteers. Any organization, group of people or class can volunteer by picking a day and time. TAVRC will provide all equipment and supplies.

There are other volunteer opportunities besides hands-on debris removal. Lambert said students could visit warehouses, help the school board and assist with administrative tasks.

Students can register with and log volunteer hours on SLPro.

“Volunteering with the Tuscaloosa Area Volunteer Reception Center is a great way for students to be involved in the tornado clean-up efforts,” said Amy Buchanan, research coordinator for the Center for Ethics and Social Responsibility, in an emailed statement. “It can be difficult to think of places to volunteer on your own, but with the TAVRC, all you have to do is show up and they will put you to work. They are sending volunteers out into the community daily and are always in need of extra help.”

Buchanan said students from the Honor’s College Moral Forum course volunteered this past Saturday. On Sundays, the Student Government Association goes out with other members of the student body to assist with cleaning up the area.

“The TAVRC is making a significant impact in the Tuscaloosa community and is instrumental in the clean-up and rebuilding efforts,” she said. “If you’re looking for a way to serve Tuscaloosa and assist in the rebuilding efforts, go to the TAVRC and lend a hand.”

Volunteers can lend a hand any day of the week. For more information on volunteering contact Lambert at [email protected] or 205-361-0760. TVRC is located at 2512 University Blvd. E.

“I hope the community will see the crisis that has happened and unite to help the area recover,” Lambert said.