Change on campus necessary

Each day, we students read about, hear about, or see blatantly unfair acts being committed by the University itself and the students who attend it. Students write opinion-driven articles about these acts, organize protests against them and even call the University’s administration to complain and bring to attention that these various acts keep occurring. My question is: what is the University doing to help prevent unfairness and prejudice towards other people on campus?

We understand that these continuing acts of racism are results of only the students who cannot see past their unrelenting prejudice. How is the University going to change the minds of those who are, for lack of better words, “set in their ways”? Well, they can’t. Only the racist students themselves can change their minds.

Personally, I want to see someone from the University’s administration (preferably Dr. Witt) firmly speak out against racism on campus. I feel as if the administration is only ignoring their students’ cries for change. Why hasn’t anyone from the administration responded to our protests consisting of rallies and constantly published opinions? It is obvious that a majority of the student body is not getting themselves involved with this ongoing battle for equality, which plays a large role in why the administration is not responding to the protests against racism. If most of us are not participating in trying to get rid of inequality on campus, then why should the administration try and solve what looks, to them, like a miniscule issue? The fact is that we students are not showing the University’s administration that this is a big deal. Fighting against racism and inequality is important to us. If we want change, not only from the students, but from this University, then the movement needs more supporters and more actions taken in order to show that we protestors mean business.

We students are not just the financial building blocks of the University of Alabama, and I am tired of feeling as if I am worth only that to this place. We want change on campus. We want things to be done in retaliation to the actions we have been taking against the unfairness that is continuing towards our fellow students.  It is the University’s responsibility to preserve the overall pleasantness on campus, and that includes addressing the not-so-quietly-solved issues.

They are failing, and their students are calling them out.