Acts of Kindness Fund helps students, faculty recover

In the days following the widespread destruction caused by the tornado on April 27, the University launched the UA Acts of Kindness Fund, a program used to provide financial assistance to negatively affected employees and students who qualify under the guidelines of this emergency-assistance program.

In early May, the University’s Athletics Department made a $1 million donation, and the SEC donated $500,000 to the fund.

To date, the fund has raised more than $2.6 million and distributed more than $1.4 million.

“After looking into several ways to help during this trying time, we have decided to take funds of our own to assist those members of the UA community who are facing very difficult circumstances,” Director of Athletics Mal Moore said in a press release. “Our ability to help is a direct result of the incredible support of our fan base, whose continued support and enthusiasm makes everything we accomplish possible.”

UA spokeswoman Cathy Andreen said 360 students, 26 faculty members and 198 staff members have received assistance from the UA Acts of Kindness Fund as of Oct. 25.

Adam Melton, a UA student who received UA Acts of Kindness funds, was at his apartment complex, Arlington Square, when the tornado touched down. Melton said he lost 70 percent of his clothing, most of his books and photos, his apartment, all of his furniture and his car as a result of the storm.

“Receiving the funds lowered my stress level completely,” Melton said. “It made the fall semester much more bearable for me. It’s not like I wasn’t going to return [after April 27], but it made everything much easier.”

There is no deadline for students, faculty and staff members to apply for the funds, as the UA Acts of Kindness Fund will now be a permanent fund used to give financial assistance as a result of a future disaster or undue hardship, Andreen said.

All employee and student cases will be presented anonymously to the UA Acts of Kindness Fund committee, a group of UA employees who are appointed by the president, for consideration, according to the fund’s website.

Tulane University in New Orleans, La., created similar funds to aid those affected following Hurricane Katrina’s landfall in 2005.

Mike Strecker, director of public relations at Tulane, said students and the University’s administration provided housing for staff and students who were displaced by the hurricane, as well as rented out a cruise ship for displaced students to stay.

Tulane administrators also implemented a public service requirement that all students must complete prior to graduating from the University. To meet the requirements, students must successfully complete one service-learning course at the 100-, 200- or 300-level before the end of their sophomore year, or fourth semester, on campus, as well as participate in a Center for Public Service approved program at the 300-level or above.

“This program really allows students to take what they’ve learned in the classroom and apply it to real-world situations,” Strecker said.

All student and university-created funds created following Hurricane Katrina have been dispersed, Strecker said.