University Stewards applications due Friday

University Stewards, a student recruitment program, is accepting applications until Friday.

The organization is student-led and focuses on hosting prospective students and families while visiting campus, according to officials. Stewards also travel nationally to attend recruitment receptions.

“It’s a great way to give back to the University and show how great Alabama really is,” said President Courtney Phillips, a junior majoring in biology. “We are the only recruitment group that is really one-on-one with prospective students and we really cater to their interests. We pride ourselves on that.”

Stewards hosts VIP prospects, she said, which are students who have excelled and stand out from their classmates both academically and with extracurricular activities.

When prospective VIP students visit campus, stewards meet with them one-on-one at Lakeside Dining Hall for lunch. Stewards answer questions and give a personal account of student life, Phillips said.

“Lunch topics vary anywhere from dorm life to campus organizations and greek life,” she said. “Football, not so much. It speaks for itself.”

Phillips said requirements for the University Stewards are a minimum 3.0 GPA, and applicants must be of freshman, sophomore or junior standing.

“We are looking for a broad range of students, we hope one from every college applies,” said Justin Ray, vice president of training for University Stewards. “Diversity is key so we have someone who is able to interact with every prospect, no matter what their interests are.”

Phillips said last year over 100 people applied, and about 40 students were accepted. She said they are looking to accept the same amount this year.

“I am interested in applying because I think this is a great way to not only give back to the University, but to give back to yourself,” said freshman Taylor Hess, an engineering major. “This is a great way to improve communication skills that will be useful in the workforce.”

Phillips said stewards pride themselves on diversity and stewards try to match the prospective students interests.

“If a prospect is looking to major in business and wants to be involved with greek life, we have someone,” Phillips said. “If another prospect is interested in music and certain organizations, we have someone like that also.”

Stewards travel nationwide to attend recruiting lunches and dinners. The University pays for all expenses, she said.

“This is a great way to get involved on campus and learn something while you are helping others,” said Emily Phillips, fashion retail major. “While answering questions the prospective student has, you are actually learning about the University and its history.”

Stewards attend training sessions where they learn about the University. They also have mock lunches to practice various scenarios, Phillips said.

To apply to be a steward, visit uastewards.com