UA Press plans holiday book sale on campus

The University of Alabama Press is holding a holiday book sale of some of its more popular titles Dec. 2 and 3 in the Ferguson Center near the information desk across from Starbucks, according to a press release.

The two-day sale is designed to allow patrons a chance to purchase University of Alabama Press books at discounted prices for holiday gift giving, marketing and sales manager Shana Rivers said.

“Students need holiday gift ideas and can purchase great books for family and friends at discounted prices,” Rivers said.

For several years, the press held an annual holiday sale at their previous location at the old armory building, Rivers said.

“One year it was held at the Million Dollar Band practice field and this year we are housing the sale inside the Ferguson Center,” Rivers said.

This past summer, UA Press held an outdoor tent sale in downtown Tuscaloosa, publicist Rebecca Minder said.

“[The summer sale] was the first time since 2002 that the Press had held a sale for the community, and was frequently requested,” Minder said. “Because of the summer sale’s success, UA Press decided to offer another sale Dec. 2-3 to offer great books at low prices for holiday gift-giving. These sales may become an annual event if the community continues to request them.”

Founded in the fall of 1945, the Press has won numerous awards for its publications over the years and has published a wide variety of titles, according to the UA Press website. With a staff of 17, the Press is the only academic publisher for the state of Alabama and has fostered partnerships with such institutions as the Birmingham Museum of Art, Samford University and the Pebble Hill Center for the Humanities at Auburn University.

Located in the McMillan Building, UA Press publishes approximately 75 books per year, Minder said. Books range in subject matter including civil rights, photography, archaeology, Alabama history, poetry, military history, outdoor recreation, memoirs and biographies.

The Press publishes in a variety of formats, both print and electronic.

Sales hours will be 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Dec. 2; and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Dec. 3. Book prices will range from $1-$25 and include sales tax.