Sella-Granata features BFA student exhibit

The art department will present Elizabeth Wuestefeld’s senior exhibition, “Little Things,” this week as she completes her bachelor’s of fine arts degree.

Wuestefeld’s collection consists of her recent drawings, prints, and sculpture. Her artwork displays intaglio mono-prints as well as mixed media works on paper.

Wuestefeld writes that her work is “about hiding and laughing and sometimes feeling sad about being so small. And sometimes being happy about it.”

“The ideas in my work are important to me, and I am willing to use any media in order to express them,” Wuestefeld said. “I use a variety of materials to compose my sculptures, including steel, paper, thread, plaster, tulle and ready-made objects. Some sculptures are very small and some are much larger. I am interested in combining ‘hard’ and ‘soft’ materials and also in giving three-dimensionality to two-dimensional works.”

Wuestefeld said her work is inspired by everyday interactions.

Rachel Dobson, the visual research curator in the art and art history department, said the exhibit is Wuestefeld’s opportunity to display her work to fulfill her requirement as a BFA student.

“All BFA students must have an exhibition to promote their work,” Dobson said. “It’s also good for the department.”

Dobson said she has seen Wuestefeld’s work, and she described it as “delicate and understated.

“‘Little Things’ might not be taken seriously, but her ideas are important,” Dobson said. “The majority of society doesn’t take art seriously unless it’s blown up in large proportions.”

The exhibit opened Tuesday and will remain open until March 5. The gallery is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and is located in Woods Hall in the Sella-Granata Art Gallery.

There will be an opening reception for the exhibition on Thursday at 7 p.m. The event is free and open to the public.