Senate meets to discuss resolutions

The SGA Senate convened a brief meeting Thursday night with only two resolutions and one bill on the agenda. The meeting, however, did not lack significant proposals.

Senator Amanda Reyes’ proposal, Bill 07-10, would amend the language of the oath of office currently in the SGA Code of Laws to specifically omit the phrase “so help me God” near the end of the oath.

The bill also changes the first part of the oath, adding that the officer shall “uphold, protect, obey, and defend” the Constitution of the SGA. As it stands now, the officer under oath swears to “obey the Constitution.”

Questions followed Reyes’ reading of her bill. Senators wanted to clarify that the “so help me God” clause is optional as of now, and Reyes confirmed that it is. Under her amendment, there would be no option to say the phrase as it would be removed completely.

At Senator John Anselmo’s request, the senate gave Brad Lee, a member of the Business Honors Program in the business school a moment to talk about Sustainability Day. Lee specifically described his initiative to allow students in all colleges on campus to use their laptops during class over professors’ objections.

“The most important thing is the copious amounts of benefits,” Lee said after the meeting about his initiative. “So many students on campus already have a laptop, so why not let them use it?” Lee also noted environmental and fiscal benefits among those his initiative would bring.

Nominations and voting for the Libby Anderson Cater Award, the award given to the most outstanding SGA senator of the year, also headlined the meeting. Miriam Fry won the award. Ian Sams, John Anselmo, Peyton Falkenburg and CadeAnn Smith were also nominated. Nicole Bohannon also received a nomination, but chose to decline.

Other matters included Senator Lexi Campbell’s proposed resolution encouraging students to participate in the Multiple Sclerosis Society walk, a benefit gathering set for March 27 at 3:00 p.m. at Annette Shelby Park on 15th Street. Fry also proposed a resolution of congratulations to junior Shellie Street, winner of the Feb. 20 Miss UA pageant.