Former coaches, players greet fans at Bama Bash

Gene Stallings, Marcell Dareus and other former Alabama football greats joined fans at the New Orleans Convention Center the night before kickoff to reflect on past national championships and preview the school’s upcoming game against LSU.

Former players and coaches participated in a moderated question and answer session before signing autographs for the thousands of fans who attended the event, dubbed the Bama Bowl Bash in the Big Easy.

“To be here means more than you think,” said Dareus, who now plays in the NFL for the Buffalo Bills. “I’ve been in Buffalo all year, and even though this is New Orleans, it feels like home. Everybody from Tuscaloosa came down to show some support to the University of Alabama, and I’ve come here and they’re showing me support like I’ve never left.”

Fans such as Don Adams, the first Alabama fan standing in the autograph line, said being in New Orleans for the game means everything to them.

“I was born in ’61 – national championship. I finished school in ’79 – national championship,” Adams said. “I’m 50 years old this year, and we’re going to take another one back to Alabama. I couldn’t be more excited to be here.”

David Wilson, SGA vice president of student affairs, said the SGA decided to help the Alumni Association sponsor the Bama Bowl Bash because they knew it would be a great event for students to attend before the game.

“We’re here for the national championship, and this is a big deal for the University, but more importantly, this is something where alumni and students came together and made this possible,” Wilson said. “I think that it’s very important to continue to build off of that.”

Other former players that attended the event included Shaun Alexander, Tyrone Prothro, Jay Barker and Preston Dial.

“It’s an honor to be here with the guys,” Dial said. “They’re all still my teammates and brothers. I’m proud of these guys, even the ones I didn’t play with. I feel like they’re at least first cousins. We’ve got great guys, and their will to win and their will to do it right is what I’m proud of.”

Joining Dareus and Dial from the 2009 national championship team was linebacker Cory Reamer, who said he thought it was unreal that Alabama was back in New Orleans playing for the title after being in the same situation less than 20 years ago.

“It’s exciting to come back and see the Alabama fans showing this kind of support for the team before the national championship in New Orleans,” Reamer said.

Many former players at the event said they offered current team members some words of advice prior to the title game.

“To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift – the words of Steve Prefontaine,” Dareus said.