WVUA DJs broadcast ‘good vibes’ to a growing campus

WVUA DJs broadcast good vibes to a growing campus

Music softly plays in the WVUA-FM station as Shannon Harris, known as Mahogany when she is on air, sits down in front of the switchboard.

“I love music,” Harris said. “If I had a great, positive vibe from music, then I figured I could help share it with others.”

Harris is a disc jockey for WVUA-FM 90.7 The Capstone, the University’s student-run radio station that was founded in the 1940s but has greatly evolved over the years.

As the “Voice of the University of Alabama,” The Capstone is a source for news and entertainment around the clock with diverse programs and music. The station offers many programs, including popular shows like The Wide World of Hip Hop. Chris Dodson, the station manager, said they have something to appeal to everyone. Since it’s not a commercial station, there is music playing around the clock.

“If it is your first time to tune in to the station, Morning Drive is an excellent show,” he said. “The guys doing it have done a great job. They talk about campus news and the weird news that comes out.”

Morning Drive is a morning talk show that airs every Monday through Friday from 8 to 10 a.m.

Dodson said college radio as a whole is on the rise, and for 90.7, their listening numbers are right where they want them to be. The large increase in enrollment have resulted in greater interest in the station and more spots to fill.

On Jan. 25 and 26 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., the station will be having tryouts to fill slots. Any student interested in being a DJ can come by and try out.

“It doesn’t matter if you’re a TCF major, art major or psychology major, we have psychology majors all over this station,” Dodson said. “So, it doesn’t matter what major you are, stop by during the try-out and then we will evaluate you from there.

“If you’re a student here, I personally encourage you to tryout next week. You may be the person we were looking for.”

Programming director Averie Armstead said they look for originality, individualism and a strong work ethic in prospective DJs. Armstead said as programming director, she is responsible for taking care of the DJs and upholding standards, regulations and scheduling.

“We have expanded our genres. We have expanded our specialty shows,” she said. “We have expanded most of the type of DJs. We have a representation of all genres and all demographics.”

Armstead encourages students at UA to take advantage of the opportunities the University provides.

“Your collegiate time is basically where you decide who you are going to be for the rest of your life,” she said. “In general, we have such great opportunities here, the radio station being one of them, it would be unwise to not take advantage of those opportunities.”

So, tap into 90.7 The Capstone today, or check out the online stream at wvuafm.ua.edu.

“This is your experience. This is your University. This is your radio station. This is your campus,” Armstead said. “Why not hear what we have to say too?”

For more information, contact WVUA-FM at [email protected]. For song requests, call 205-348-9070.