We the people are not stupid

In Josh Veazey’s recent column, “We Are Not Listening,” the American people were blamed for Obama’s continuing failures. The author said that “Americans are stupid” and implied that if we simpletons would just listen to Obama, we’d believe his claims that he has cut our taxes and that government control of healthcare will solve our problems.

This stereotypically elitist view is why Obama and the Democratic Party are failing.

Americans have been listening to Obama and are tuning him out because of the disconnect between his words and reality. Few people believe that his stimulus has created jobs, or that government meddling will improve healthcare and lower costs.

We don’t believe he’s committed to cutting government spending while proposing a trillion-dollar healthcare monstrosity, and most aren’t convinced of man-made global warming even as he insists on raising energy costs and crippling the economy based on an unproven theory.

Public opposition does not matter to liberal elites, because the belief that people are feeble-minded and incapable of leading their own lives is fundamental to their ideology. Government reigns supreme because they know how to spend our money better than we do. This is why the left continues to ignore the public will in its attempt to remake America.

The elitist view is that there will be no “revolt” against Washington, because “that makes Americans seem more informed than they actually are.”

A tidal wave is building because Americans are not stupid and will not remain silent while their great nation is fundamentally transformed. We the people recognize that limited government, free market principles, and individualism have created the American dream.

This bunch in power better listen up and recognize they’re not in Chicago anymore, because they’re losing consent of the governed. Their contempt for our opinions will not save them from our wrath.

Ray Phillips is a graduate student in accounting.