Students busy with short films

Over the past week, it has been hard to walk around campus without seeing a video camera, as students who are participating in Campus MovieFest have been busy preparing their films for competition.

Students have been walking on the Quad, going up and down steps of buildings and even stopping traffic with cones to get the shots they want. More than 100 teams signed up this year, topping last year’s turn out.

Sophomore Brittany Walton is just one of the 103 individuals and teams signed up this year. She said she signed up hoping to gain some experience to put under her belt.

“This is my passion,” Walton said. “This is what I want to do, so I figured I may as well start now.”

Walton is competing in CMF for the first time this year, but unlike most contestants, she is competing without a team. The only help she has are the four actors starring in her film.

“I’m editing, filming, everything, all by myself,” Walton said.

Walton said does not mind the workload, and thanks to her film classes, she feels well prepared.  She admits that without them, she probably would not have signed up for CMF.

“My favorite part about the process is the filming. I love coming up with concepts and ideas and making them work on the screen. I hate the editing process, but it has to be done in order to have a great film,” Walton said.

Walton based the concept for her film very loosely on her brother. The film follows the story of a young man with a criminal past that prevents him from moving forward in life.

“He can’t find a job, can’t get into college. He’s basically just sitting on his front porch. Then, one day, he gets an opportunity,” Walton said

Senior Kyle Goodin is also competing in the CMF competition this year. Unlike Walton, Goodin is a returning competitor.  He was an actor in last year’s film “A Certain Woman,” and he is returning this year as a director.

“I am actually the only one on my team who has participated in CMF before now. This year, I thought I would take a shot at directing a film,” Goodin said.

While Goodin is a seasoned competitor, he and his crew have still faced their share of trials. For Goodin and his team, the real challenge was the initial writing. None of the team members claimed to be strong writers, which made getting started difficult, but the team was able to find a solid concept they could run with. All in all, they dedicated more than 15 hours to the production of their film.

“The concept for the film is pretty goofy,” said Garret Thomas, a senior who is the producer and director of photography on the film. “Our main character, Barry Swift, is a hometown hero to everyone in Slapout, Ala. He is the best track star the town has ever known. But, like most towns in Alabama, football is king. After some influence from his dad, Barry decides to try out for the high school team. The film then follows him as he tries out for this team.”

The crew has four main members, but with all of the extras, about 20 people have helped produce the film, titled “Slapout Superhero.” Each member of them team has contributed to the film’s completion in a variety of ways.

“In this film, everyone just helps out and does what’s needed of them at the moment,” Courtney Huffstutler, main editor and assistant director/producer, said.

With collection happening today in the Ferguson Center Heritage Room, the competition is winding down. Winners for the top categories will be announced at the finale Thursday in the Ferguson Center Theater. The finale will be free to the public, with doors opening at 7 p.m. and the screening beginning at 7:30 p.m.