The Voice of Our Generation – Round 3

The Voice of Our Generation – Round 3

In the culturally fractured Internet age, it’s hard for a single voice to stand out. Music, movies and literature that truly achieve mass consumption are, in some ways, a thing of the past. The last album to crack 10 million copies sold came out in 2003. Of the 100 most popular movies in the history of cinema, the only 21st century film that was based on an original IP was Pixar’s Finding Nemo. Increasingly, we are a society of disparate tastes and interests.

However, there are still some people who bring us together. Whether you love or hate Kanye West’s rants, Lady Gaga’s crazy outfits or Mark Zuckerberg’s increasingly sophisticated social network, these people and their primary achievements have come to define young people, and, particularly, how people will view the young people of this moment from a historical perspective.

The Crimson White is asking you, the reader, to help us determine the voice of our generation – what person, through their achievements, actions or aesthetic, most wholly defines the ideals and worldview of people between the ages of 18 and 24 in the year 2012. On this list, you’ll find people who have accomplished great things (Steve Jobs) and people whose stardom defies accomplishment (Snooki), but all of them have, in some core way, affected the manner in which we’ve developed into the adults we are today.

The Rules:

• The tournament will begin with 16 people, seeded from 1 to 4 in four separate regions.
  • Each week, CW writers and other UA students will write short essays explaining why the celebrity they’ve chosen most defines our generation.
  • Readers will vote online for the person they think should win, considering the arguments considered by the writer.

The Voice of Our Generation StandingsVote Now