In response to: ‘State of the Black Union addresses racial dynamics’

Time for me to get on a soap box: in Tuesday’s issue of The Crimson White, there was an article about the State of the Black Union sponsored by the Black Student Union, and the discussion of racial tension and issues of our campus.

This article irritated me, not because I’m some cross-burning skin-head, but because the group isolates itself by using the word “black” and then complains that the rest of the university seems to isolate them.

I understand that this is Black History Month, but think about all the isolated Black groups (I refuse to use African-Americans simply because we are all Americans, Black Americans, White Americans, Green Americans it doesn’t matter we are all Americans and adding your race to that title is just another way of separation. I do not walk around calling myself a Caucasian-American).

The United Negro College Fund is one of my least favorites because if there were a white-only scholarship fund, the proprietor of the said scholarship would be sued within weeks of it being advertised.

I say this all to get down to one point: if you want to join a group to address the isolation of races on this campus, then DO NOT isolate yourselves as a group by limiting the group to only the race you feel is isolated. It all seems counter-productive of what every single minority group is striving to achieve. I am now done with my rant. God Bless America and have a good day.

Casey Butler is a senior majoring in mechanical engineering.