Show choir to perform Jackson 5, Nicki Minaj

Sophia Jones

Across the country, show choirs have gotten national recognition, thanks to the popular television show “Glee;” however, the University of Alabama’s Resonance Show Choir hopes to show that much more goes into these performances.

“There’s a lot more that goes into Resonance than ‘Glee’ makes it seem,” said Naomi Thompson, a junior majoring in psychology and third-year member of the choir. “Resonance is 40 people working and practicing together almost every day, and in the end, we come out with something amazing, something people need to see.”

The Bama Theatre will host the UA Resonance Show Choir Friday at 7:30 p.m. Student tickets will cost $5, and general admission tickets will cost $7.

“Resonance makes me think of a big sound that affects everyone it comes by. It resonates and reverberates inside everyone,” Thompson said. “I believe that we have that sound in us. We want to spread it and share it with others.”

From rock to funk to pop and even some hip-hop, the UA Resonance Choir performs in all areas of music.

“If you like music, then you should come to the performance. It‘s going to be a great show,” Steven Holbrook, a sophomore majoring in journalism, said.

This is Holbrook’s first year in Resonance, and he, along with three others, will be performing an acoustic rendition of Nicki Minaj’s “Super Bass” in one of Friday night’s ensemble pieces.

“There’s something in the show for everyone. Resonance works through intrinsic motivation — each member does it because it’s fun,” Hunter Holt, a junior majoring in English, said. Holt has been in the choir for two years.

Friday’s performance will feature nine songs, with five shorter ensemble performances in between each song. As usual, Resonance is spanning the decades in their set list by including pieces by Jackson 5, Journey and The All-American Rejects.

“I’m definitely going to see the show,” Lindsey Badham, a sophomore majoring in nursing, said. “UA Resonance Choir performances are ideal because they combine all your favorite music genres and songs into one concert.”

Created in the fall of 2008, Resonance is a live band assembled of mostly student musicians that give the show more energy, Holt said.

Led by two student directors, Rebecca Howard and Garrett Lindsey, Resonance does not compete with other show choirs and is an entirely student-led organization.

“We put in six to eight hours a week. It’s all extracurricular … Resonance is not a representation of faculty; it’s a representation of students and what we can do, and we’re pretty awesome,” Katie Thurber, a sophomore majoring in journalism and second-year member, said.

For more information on the show or Resonance, visit the Facebook page “Resonance Show Choir” or visit bama.ua.edu//~resonance/Home.html.