New scholarship aims to help Students

Dean Robert Olin stands alongside Will Menas and Hannah Studdard, co-presidents of the College of Arts and Sciences ambassadors. Photo Courtesy of Alex Green

Emmalee Molay

During her one-day tenure as Dean, Marcita Cole started a new scholarship for students with financial hardships.

When Cole won the College of Arts and Sciences’ social media campaign “Dean for a Day,” she took the opportunity to begin laying the groundwork for “The Rising Tide” scholarship.

Cole’s vision of creating a new scholarship is becoming a reality with the help of Dr. Robert Olin, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, and the college’s ?student ambassadors.

“Marcita’s vision was a ‘for students, by students’ kind of thing,” said Allison Verhine, sponsor of the College of Arts and Sciences ambassadors. “It’s a lot for one person to take on, so we have 26 ?ambassadors to help.”

Before the scholarship can be given out, Cole and the Arts and Sciences committee are hoping to get the scholarship endowed, which requires $25,000. After approval by a board of trustees, it will be possible for the scholarship to be given out annually.

Will Menas, a senior majoring in political science and co-president of the College of Arts and Sciences ambassadors, said one of the goals is to get students to donate to the scholarship.

“I really feel like students will be happy to help with a project like this,” Menas said. “To reach out and help one of their fellow students in need.”

Members of the UA community will be able to drop donations into a 4-foot tall Plexiglas elephant – named “Baby Al” – as it makes its way around campus with the ambassadors. The elephant will make an appearance at the College of Arts and Sciences table at Get on Board Day.

The college has set up several fund-raising nights at local restaurants, including McAllister’s, Jim ‘N Nicks, Buffalo Wild Wings and Panda Express.

While it is undecided who will receive the scholarship, Verhine said it will be a current Arts and Sciences student.

Although there is still a lot of work to be done, Verhine is eager to see how it all plays out.

“We’ve already seen a lot of success,” Verhine said. “We’ve been reaching out to alumni, and we’ve had faculty ?members willing to match whatever their class raises.”

Donations for “The Rising Tide” ?scholarship are being accepted online at as.ua.edu