Campus organization advocates for abortion access in Alabama

Alex Brittenham

Alex Brittenham

Tables in front of Gorgas Library were set up Tuesday afternoon with information about the process of abortion.

Annie Milbourn

Since the U.S. Supreme Court’s deicison in Roe v. Wade, abortion has been amongst the most hot button issues in American politics. The idea of legal access to abortion is abhorrent to some, but others see women’s right to chose as something to be celebrated. 

The Abortion Positive Tour stopped by The University of Alabama quad on Tuesday, April 11. During the month of April, 10 campuses in five states will receive a visit from their chapter of URGE, the Unite for Reproductive and Gender Equity. 

Joanna Urli, a senior majoring in biology, is the president of URGE at The University of Alabama. URGE is an organization that works primarily in conservative states to expand people’s minds on the topic of abortion.

“Our goal for today is basically to destigmatize abortion and to also improve access for people,” Urli said. “We don’t care what people decide for themselves, but we just want to ensure that everyone has access.”

Tables in front of Gorgas Library were set up with information about the process of abortion, an overview of the Equal Access to Abortion Coverage in Health Insurance Act and background information about URGE.

“We don’t believe abortion is a bad word, and we know that youth everywhere are ready and willing to proactively support every healthcare option available,” their website states. “By taking this tour on the road, we show our supporters that they aren’t alone.”

URGE also had a petition to support the Each Woman Act. It will be introduced to Congress to appeal the Hyde Amendment, which is an amendment to the federal budget that is passed every year to prevent any federal money being used for abortions. 

“I think it’s important to show that there’s support from students at UA, and for them to learn,” Urli said. “A lot of students, especially ones who live in Alabama, never really learn about abortion and what it is.”

Sara Cook, a sophomore majoring in social work, was born and raised in Alabama and has a different stance on the issue.

“I grew up into a religious and conservative family, but I have surrounded myself with people who have challenged me and my beliefs,” Cook said. “I have found that I believe the things I do because they are morally just, not because of influence.”

Cook said she is against abortion because she believes that nobody should have the power to take away the life of another human being when the power was not given to humans in the first place.

If anyone could not make it in person, the URGE team encouraged students to join them on social media. #AbortionPositive and #BeBoldEndHyde were seen on their Twitter and Facebook pages as ways to track their activities.

Urli overall wants people to know what being pro-choice means. 

“Our goal is to ensure that there is access for everyone,” she said.