Jalen Hurts should remain Alabama’s starting quarterback

Look, it’s been a minute. The University of Alabama Crimson Tide Football team won its 5th National Championship in 9 years over two months ago. The end of that game, like the end of our team’s season, was a rollercoaster of emotion. The days and weeks in Tuscaloosa after the fateful completion on 2nd and 26 were filled with pure shock, pure passion and pure joy.

Now, distracted by the chaos of midterms, spring break and college hoops, our minds are a little clearer. We remember the drama of being down 13-0 at halftime against Georgia, we remember Tua Tagovailoa replacing Jalen Hurts going into the second half, we remember the pain of the missed last second field goal and we remember the euphoria after DeVonta Smith’s game-winning touchdown. 

Yet, while we remember, we are hopefully a little less emotionally driven in our views about next season. Spring practice for next season starts this week, with kickoff less than 6 months away. There will be a lot of press detailing the battle for the quarterback position between Jalen and Tua, so I just wanted to say this:

Jalen Hurts should be Alabama’s starting quarterback.

I have held this position since the last piece of confetti fell in Atlanta two months ago, but every single Alabama fan I have mentioned the idea to has told me that I am crazy. While outsiders and national journalists may see a legitimate position battle between Jalen and Tua, most Alabama fans I have met would never dream of not having Tua start next September. I am hoping that with about 9 weeks of emotional cool-off, I can convince you otherwise.

Let’s re-examine how dominant Jalen Hurts truly is. As a freshman, he was SEC Offensive Player of the Year. In his first two years, Jalen was 25-2 as a starter. Last season, Jalen’s Total QBR stood at 82.1, good for the 7th best among qualified DI quarterbacks in the nation, according to ESPN. That mark stood right above Georgia’s Jake Fromm, Penn State’s Trace McSorley and USC’s Sam Darnold. 

Jalen is also a extreme talent when it comes to a fundamental part of Alabama’s game: ball control. They only time other teams have a chance against us is when we turn the ball over, luckily, Jalen nearly never does, while I can’t be so sure about Tua. Let’s put it this way. Last season, while Jalen has thrown more than three times the number of attempted passes, Tua threw twice of the number of interceptions. While some may complain that we don’t have a big enough sample size to truly make a good comparison, I would have to point that that proves my point that maybe we should stick with our tried and true quarterback going into next season.

Now, a lot of people will say that Jalen can not be trusted as a team leader when he has “lost” two National Championships when he was under center. But, I will remind everyone that Jalen Hurts had already won a National Championship before last season. With a little jog, Jalen capped off a 68-yard drive to put Alabama up 3 with 2 minutes to go, destined to become the next Jamelle Holieway. Only, he would never see the ball again. Our special teams and defense, through a series of missed tackles, an unfortunate penalty and an un-recovered on-side kick, let Jalen’s National Championship slip away. Yet, somehow, Jalen turned into the scapegoat and people are still mad at him about that to this day.

To continue what can only be described as a rant, let me finish off with this: Tua is a fantastic passer with brilliant arm strength who can obviously put Alabama back in a game it is losing. But let’s remember, how often is Alabama losing? Like, sincerely, let’s look back at the past season. We had trouble at times against Mississippi State, we had a horrible, glitchy game against Auburn, and we had a rough start to the National Championship.

That is three games out of 14. Maybe in those instances, and obviously in one of them in particular, the inclusion of Tua could be what shifted the tide of the game back in our favor. But focusing on those small windows of time misses the forest for the trees. Jalen Hurts led an Alabama that absolutely destroyed Florida State, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, Arkansas, Tennessee and a few other cupcakes. He brings a consistency to dominance that we simply can’t be sure of when it comes to Tua.

My point here is not to degrade Tua. I love Tua and I believe he and his younger brother have a real chance write their way into Alabama legend. My point is this: So can Jalen Hurts. I am not advocating for Tua to sit on the bench continuously until the game hits garage time, but I am wholeheartedly saying that those pondering the idea that Jalen should transfer because he is of no more use to the team are dead wrong and extremely shortsighted.

Some may say that it would be “disrespectful” to not start the quarterback who won us a National Championship, yet those same people were the most forceful advocates for Tua’s takeover halfway through the National Championship, from the quarterback who got us there. In the end, Nick Saban and Alabama always do what it takes to win, and I believe that Jalen will win out in that decision. And we should all respect that decision, regardless of who it will be.

Just remember that Jalen Hurts is a fundamental part of the Alabama team and should be given the respect that he deserves. Jalen is the two year starter for the greatest football team in America and is somehow simultaneously extremely underrated. He is a powerful force that has contributed to the continual dominance of an already great dynasty, and we should never, ever forget that.

Michael Smith is a junior majoring in economics. His column runs biweekly.