College of Engineering showing play this weekend

Just because they frequent Rogers Library doesn’t mean they can’t stage a play. 

This weekend, engineering students are bringing John Cardiani’s play “Almost, Maine” to the stage. The College of Engineering, along with the college’s theater department – College of Engineering Does Amateur Radical Theatre – are presenting the production, which will happen this Saturday, March 31, in the Ferg Theater. 

Students have been rehearsing the production since January. Jessi Davis is directing this vignettes show, which means there will be short plays comprised into one, whole production. Throughout the entire show, five actors will be playing different roles in each scene. These miniature plays delve into love and loss in a distant, fictitious town named Almost, Maine. The residents of Almost, Maine find themselves falling in and out of love in unforeseen and comical ways. The overall theme of the play is romantic, but it incorporates some elements of realism as well.

College of Engineering Does Amateur Radical Theatre (or COE Does Art, for short) is an organization that seeks to provide a platform for students to engage with the arts, even if their busy academic schedules prevent them from being involved in other artistic outlets on campus. Students of all majors are involved with the organization. 

“Almost, Maine” first premiered at the Portland Stage Company in 2004.

The show will be performed at the Ferguson Center Theater on Saturday, March 31 starting at 7 p.m. Tickets can be purchased at the door for $5 per person the night of the show.